Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    I think you need to add more colour. Its way too plain for my liking. I think you need to add some background colour, maybe a side bar with a blue background, just to make it a bit more aestetically pleasing!

Member #
    ok guys here goes Critique all you want Remember this is my first site and my ideas are not really flowing now.

The site was looking really plain like you guys said so I changed some things around please let me know what you think.Also give me suggestions...

Old Index...

and here is the change (still not done) I feel like it needs more!? What else can I add to the main page?

Updated Index

These are some extra things I will add to the site.
    Supply Order form (we provide it free..so no ecommerce)
    -Basicaly a list of supplies we offer our accounts and with checkboxes so they can pick what they need..I would like the form to be emailed to me when finished. I still have to figure this one out. Are there any tutorials that can help me on this???

Member #
    Between the 2 you most recently posted, I would actually say I prefer the "Old Index" better.

Maybe a background color behind that main content table would help set it off (could use one of the purples in the logo, or a color that compliments it).

I would agree that you should change the font from TimesNewRoman to something easier to read on webpages (like Verdana, Arial, Georgia, etc).

Member #
    I disagree, the second one you're working on is a lot more dynamic and interesting than the older version. The spacing still needs to be worked out, but there's more going on. It's a better use of screen space, especially the side box.

To do a form that would return an email, you'll have to learn a little server-side scripting. PHP and ASP are the most common languages, and most servers support one or the other. Check out the coding section in the forum.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    thanks for the help guys...Well for some reason I wasnt to happy with the other layout so I decided to change it around a little. So I got the logo and colors that go with my letter heads and requsitions here at the lab and used them on the site. It was a headache to try to get everything right so here are my questions...
    Site:>>Click Here<<

1) Would CSS make it easier for me to fix things on my site without going through each page to make changes? If so where could I find tutorials on this?

2)For some reason i am having trouble with my bottom and top tables where the links " Home | Contact Us" are...they dont stay on the size I put. They keep expanding. Can someone please help me out??

*Please give me any advice possible.CRITIQUE CRITIQUE!!
    Thanks

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BIOTECH
    1) Would CSS make it easier for me to fix things on my site without going through each page to make changes? If so where could I find tutorials on this?
    Yes. CSS allows you to control the layout with an external file, so if you change it, all you have to do is upload the new stylesheet (or just save the new one under the same name), and all your pages will have the new layout.

There's a solid tutorial in the tutorials section of WDF, but I'd suggest starting at www.w3.org

Quote Originally Posted by BIOTECH
    2)For some reason i am having trouble with my bottom and top tables where the links " Home | Contact Us" are...they dont stay on the size I put. They keep expanding. Can someone please help me out??
    It looks like you've set them to a percentage. Change that to actual pixels and it should not resize. PS The links don't actually work all the time (especially on the bottom of the page).

Other [un]solicited comments:
    - There is too much white space.
    - At least one of the links (Chemistry) does not work.
    - The logo is a big improvement.
    - Home and Contact buttons on top and bottom are a FANTASTIC idea, excellent for usability, but I would make them both flush right or both flush left, not one and one.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I think it would look more unified if you put everything inside some sort of container

edit: since you asked, I made an example of what I mean:

with "container"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads