Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I've been doing web design for a little bit now but have never really had any training or anything in it, so here's what I'm wondering. If you're looking for the super-quick version you can skip to the last paragraph.

I have a site that has many domains, but each of them is slightly different so it's not a referral type thing. Think of it like a car website called for instance, coolcars.com. From there, I would also own the domains for coolfordcars.com, coolchevycars.com, etc. Each of these pages would be slightly different (geared toward that specific car), so it's not a matter of them all referring to the same place.

So, now I have 100 or so domains like this. Each of them uses the same template for different content. But things like the footer, the top image bar, etc. are all the same.

So, the index.php file for each domain has a call to

Code:
    include "footer.html"
    Now, I just found the downside to this. I needed to change the footer, so I had to go through into my ftp program, open the folder for the coolfordcars domain and upload the footer.html file into there, then go back, open the coolchevycards domain and upload the footer.html file into there, etc. And I would have to do this 100 times and of course it's slow because you're navigating directories that are on the web.

So, here's my question I guess.

Would it be bad practice to, instead of just doing the include "footer.html", just to link to the footer file?

Would something like include "http://www.whatevermydomainis.com/footer.html" do the trick?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yep, that'd work just fine.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brak
    Yep, that'd work just fine.
    Ok, it would work, but is it bad practice?

I'd be doing this for likely 3 seperate things on each of the 100 or so pages, so that's a lot if this isn't something that should be done. Is it going to slow down the loading of the page at all or anything?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It will only slow down the loading of the page if the remote server (one you're linking to) is slow. As long as you're just parsing HTML files (and not scripts) you're good to go.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads