Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I want to start converting my time online to better use.
    Instead of doing nothing, I want to start developing sites for people/local businesses.

I was hoping some experienced freelancers would give me some tips on how to gain work, as my area is very rural, hence not alot of opportunity.

Thanks in advance

Member #
    First of all, Im not an experienced freelancer but I have found I have been pretty busy recently with projects for other people, so here is my 50 cents.

I think a lot of it has been down to word of mouth. Just knowing people who know people. Most of the people who have contacted me have come through friends of mine, people who take part in the same competitions on the bike as me, family pals. Get people to spread the word and you are bound to come across something. I can count at least 4 future projects that I have to do some time this year have come through just people I know either wanting a site or knowing someone who does I expect you would be quite surprised.

Get some decent business cards designed and chuck them around willy nilly. Give them to family friend to pass on and on. This will help as well. There is a chance they will fall into the right hands eventually and you can get pretty good prices on them now.

My biggest projects have come out of luck though. Which isn't good advice I know, but it's true.

One guy stumbled across my site, emailed me a question about something web related, can't quite remember what, then the next thing I knew he was asking me to get together a quote for a project he wanted to do and I got the job.

Most have come through family and friends just knowing the right people. A few friends of the family got hold of the hot gossip that I could chuck together a website and they gave me a buzz.

You could always identify a niche little market for you to target. For example I have a lot of work to do for bike related companies and people. Local trials clubs and dealers, stuff like that.

Maybe you could focus on lawers or solicitors?

There are plenty of articles around about this sort of stuff. At one point it was all I used to read at one point and it never seemed to help much. I doubt this will. Eventually though you will get your lucky break and you will have too much on your plate to deal with.

I hope some of this helps. I could drag on, but I don't want you to fall asleep when you could be out there looking for more work ;-)

Dare I suggest cold calling local companies? I haven't plucked up the balls to do it myself but you may get lucky. If you come across in the right mannor and manage to set up a meeting then you never know. Tell them why they need a website. What a website could do to benefit their business and all that sell talk.

One thing I wouldn't suggest though is under charging just to get work. I did and regret doing it because people will come back to you expecting the same prices time and time again. They may tell buddies about you, their buddies may contact you expecting similar prices. I made this mistake and it takes a while to get your prices back up. Which is a bit of a bummer

Remove Ads