Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    For one of my classes, I have to something is and art or not an art. My topic I chose is web design. I believe it is an art in some ways, certain Web sites, ect... but isn't an art in ways either. So, I was interested in getting some feedback. I want to here opinions on why it would be concidered and art, and/or why it wouldn't be concidered an art. Thanks :classic:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "I'll do it later!:tired:"
    - Dan Clarkson (me)

Protonic Studios I DanClarkson.net
    [both coming soon!]

Member #
    In its humble beginnings it was not anything close to an art. But these days it is. When you think about how a web site is first designed, you see that a large art factor goes in to it. All the elements are carefully placed in Photoshop or whatever program the designer choses. As with all good art, there is careful thought behind what is positioned where and how that will affect the audience. As with all good art, a web site has a visual theme that the audience will interpret.
    The coding of a web site is an art in itself to be studied and critiqued by others. A coder needs to find the most "appealing" way of building a site code-wise so that it displays correctly in the as many browsers as possible and can be interpreted by others. It's like the brush that makes the painting.

And come on: web design...

Member #
    To my mind a website is just another way to communicate with others.
    Unfortunately most websites tend to be for business which means if you make them too artistic then people spend more time looking at the site than they do the content. For this reason good business websites should usually be quite boring.
    Of course if you want to entertain, inspire or impress then perhaps you need something original.

Member #
    I think Flash really blurs the role of website design as art

Because Flash is a program that uses animation, graphics, and fontography to help convey the message to the audience. More than anything else, Flash has given alot of companies (who specialize in art, design, and website design) the freedom to display their creative vision to any newcomer. Juxt Interactive does this well, Artnomad, and if you go abroad to Europe they

In some cases, Flash designers do go overboard with the visual look of a website without paying much attention to the content. I remember that I had to navigate this Flash-created, futuristic city on a business site..and the only thing I wanted to know was WHERE IS THEIR JOBS SECTION? LOL

I think websites that look plain and uniform could add something to themselves if they had an online gallery of artwork for visitors to see, especially if they are in the business of visual media.

Remove Ads