Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello.

I 'm a new member of this forum so forgive me if this question has already been posted.

I recently created a personal Web site (very barebones...all text, no graphics or other bells and whistles) on a PC with Windows XP using WYSIWYG HTML software. Mac users who visit the site with Internet Explorer see only gibberish, and Mac users with Netscape see the correct text, but not all of it is properly formatted and it's not in the original fonts.

Is there a fairly simple way to correct these problems? I'm the first to admit that my HTML coding skills are minimal, but surely this is a common problem.

Thanks!

Paul Engstrom
    paule@earthlink.net

Member #
    If you give us a link to the site in question we can better help you.

If you go here http://validator.w3.org/ and get the page validated you can fix any mistakes in the code that may be screwing up the site.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply and resource. My Web address is www.paul-engstrom.com

Member #
    ...I checked the code in the head and here is what appears:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=unicode">

Would an option be to replace "unicode" with "ISO-8859-1"?

Thanks!

Member #
    Not sure what the difference is, but I use iso-8859-1 all the time. So yes, it would be an option. In fact, as you may have noticed, unicode is not a supported character set when you try to validate it.

Wow, some of that code freaks me out. Honestly, you might be better off learning HTML over the weekend and making the site by hand.

Member #
    Why are you defining styles for body and h1 in the head and nothing else. I think it'd be better to use CSS to take out all of those font tags for starters, you can also define the styles for all those P tags with class "MsoNormal" in the header without doing it every single time you use them.

I've only got time for a quick look now though so I'll have a proper look later on (hopefully).

Anyway, for the validation results:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...-engstrom.com/

Remove Ads