Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Very New

Member #
    Hello everyone,

I've probably made posts about this before here, but I really want to get good at web designing, but I've never been able to. I look at websites, and I think to myself how cool it would be to be bale to make a similar one. Sometimes I even open up Photoshop and try it out, but I never succeed. For some reason I can just never think of things that go well together. I'm horrible at graphics design, so I can't really make any cool art for my website. I'm pretty good at PHP, and I know HTML. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of websites use HTML tables in order to make their layout work. I'm very weak in this area, and have no idea how to do it. The only kind of tables I can make are the ones that show data and stuff.

I'm not exactly sure how to word my question, but can anyone help me become a better web designer? What should I do to learn?

Thanks,
    Cougar
    - [ gL+ ] -

Member #
    Learn CSS. It might help you out a lot.

Post your sites here also. We'll give you any help you need, and we can address specific questions you have about how to do whatever it is you would like to do.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Bones
    Learn CSS. It might help you out a lot.

Post your sites here also. We'll give you any help you need, and we can address specific questions you have about how to do whatever it is you would like to do.
    Hmm CSS.. I've used it before, but it was pretty much just copy and pastes form tutorial websites and stuff, I've never really taken the time to sit down and learn it like I did with PHP. I guess I'll look into it. I don't have any websites right now. I always quit before I actually upload anything.
    - [ gL+ ] -

Member #
    Take a course in graphic design.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you've got anywhere in PHP then you'll learn CSS in your sleep. Some of the trickier stuff needs a bit more in depth understanding but overall it's something that you'll get the hang of in a couple of hours.

Member #
    Okay I guess I can just start learning CSS. The part of web design that I'm bad at is making everything flow well and work together. Especially when it comes to pictures. Everything I try ends up looking like crap .
    - [ gL+ ] -

Member #
    Once you start using CSS, you will never want to look at another table, as far as graphics just look at the major sites...see what works, what they do , look at some art, sometimes you can find ideas in the wierdest places..and don't be scared to try things....challenge yourself to do a tutorial a day. Good luck

Member #
    whilst the technical aspect of website design is important, graphic design is also an integral part of it. The key is to get a balance of the two. Like lopezvic mentioned, have a look around and see which sites work and which don't. Try to reproduce the techniques or styles from sites you find successful.

My suggestion would be to subscribe to a local design related magazine; they showcase some of the best works in the industry-- and are a good source of inspiration.

Banned
    Member #
    Try duplicating a website you really love. It might take you ten times but no one said design was easy. Try duplicating just one element of the design. This will start opening your eyes to insights on what designers do. You would not believe how changing one little color in a design to match or dismatch a photo, may make or break the design. Another tip, once the design is complete, forget about it. Go back to it in a week or two. Then when you look at it, mentally note your first impression. This method overcomes the critic in ourselves when it comes to our own work.

Here are Some More Tips
    1. Learn Your Color Schemes mono, tri, hue grades
    2. Always use odd numbers of elements except corners (rare exceptions)

Remove Ads