Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been asked if I was interested in creating a website that would have a shopping cart for about 1000 products this company wants to sell.

I have done several websites using flash, dreamweaver, and know some HTML. I have not done any ecommerce sites. What all is involved in setting up shopping carts, accepting payments, and keeping payment info secure? I'm guessing the site would have to link to some type of database as well - which I doubt this company has yet to set up.

Any idea on how much time to allow for such a site? I do not design sites full-time; wish I did and this would be great experience but I'm not sure I have the time. Thanks for any info.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's not something you want to tackle lightly. There are a lot of considerations to handling customers' secure information. You'll need to be fairly capable with a server side language such as PHP or ASP and it will need a database.

You'll also need to consider certification for secure pages - if you're not sure about this I would look to a prebuilt cart, otherwise you could open a can of worms for yourself and your client.

Member #
    Judging from what you write, you are all new to programming and database interaction!

Following up on what Mossoi has already said, transactional services is about as complex as it gets!!
    You'll need to master the more complicated terrain of both server language and transactional DB interaction.

The foremost obstacle is SECURITY!

Additionally, you'll need a valid certificate for secure transactions (https://).
    Most people (that do online shopping at least), are 'internet savvy' and KNOW they should never ever send their credit card details on an unencrypted line! If they see the familiar 'padlock' symbol missing in the status bar, they won't (and shouldn't!) send any information as sensitive as a creditcard number complete with additional info such as name/addresss/the secret 4 digit authentication number, etc.

Storing the supplied creditcard details, is an additional problem. Unless you have a bulletproof encryption system, no company will store creditcardnumbers in "publicly avaliable" DB's, the favourite target of any serious hacker (you can become a millionaire if you stumble across a poorly secured DB).
    You will also need some sort of arrangement/approval/agreement from a creditcard company, before you can engage in online transactions using 'their' cards.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    I recomend going with a Turn Key package the first time... then learn from it , maybe a few months down the line code your own

Remove Ads