Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Do you design with tables?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes of course.

6 37.50%
  • No, tables are soooo 5 minutes ago. CSS BABY!!!

10 62.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    This post got me thinking. I was wondering how many people here still use tables for their webpages?

Tables or CSS? What say you?

I don't design with tables. I use CSS for all visual aspects of my websites.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    If I am starting my own site where I have complete control over the markup, I use CSS entirely. If I am designing for vBulletin (a hint for the future ), then I try to write CSS that modifies the markup without changing the markup unless necessary.

vBulletin uses tables everywhere, which is very frustrating in designing sites. More importantly, it uses tables when tabular data is not even used.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

SoD
    Member #
    i use tables for one good reason. ive only been makin sites for about 2.5 years now i dont know anything but HTML and how to read Java and PHP. i havent touched CSS yet
    [`'*^~-.,Eddy,.-~^*']
    I hover not above nor below but between the two realms of life and death.

Member #
    CSS. Why? A) it allows better control; B) it's the future, so better get on board sooner rather than later; C) it's "new": I've been desigining sites for over 4 years, but only recently moved to CSS. The newness of it reminded me of the good old days when learning HTML. Those were exciting days and it came back to me again.
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The idea of CSS isn't really new. Sir Tim Berners-Lee wrote his NeXT browser with seperation of content from style in mind in 1990. CSS was first conceived in 1994 as HTML was unable to apply even basic font formatting to a page.

Here's the original proposal for Cascading HTML Style Sheets - http://www.w3.org/People/howcome/p/cascade.html, dated 10 October 1994.

Is it the future?

Member #
    Well the W3C seems to be moving towards total separation of content and style. They are using X/HTML for content and CSS for style. This is why I say it is the future.

As for "new", only recently has there been a serious push to go down the pure-CSS route for layout. By recent I mean a year or two. Yes it's existed well before that (over ten years now by the looks of it!), and yes we were using it along side font tags and tables. Most major sites are still tables-based though, and that's why it is still new... in a sense.

Even Google still uses font tags by the way!
    eKstreme

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    None of the big sites are standards compliant it seems! Slow to catch on but then why fix something that aint broke? It's going to be interesting to see how CSS/HTML develop though, sometimes technologies that have been around a while but not implemented by the big players can be leapfrogged for the next thing.

Time will tell I suppose.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eKstreme
    Well the W3C seems to be moving towards total separation of content and style. They are using X/HTML for content and CSS for style. This is why I say it is the future.
    As they should. As the model-view-controller (MVC) paradigm defines, content should be separated from presentation.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    As they should. As the model-view-controller (MVC) paradigm defines, content should be separated from presentation.
    I never said that's a bad thing! On the contrary, I am a strong believer of this concept. All the power to them!

This MVC you mentioned sounds interesting. Never heard of it before. Must learn more...
    eKstreme

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Heh... MVC is the core of any large-scale software.. and the heart of the Computer Science philosophy

I don't know about a recent push... when I first seriously got into the web (as in, learning how to write HTML) I learned CSS becuase it's the way I found how to layout things properly. I actually learned CSS before I learned tables. Now, that was back in 8th grade... almost 7 years ago.

As of now, if you cannot code CSS/Semantic I don't think you can say you know how to code a web page. Flat out. If you still use tables, you don't know HTML and are better off using a WYSIWYG editor and not worrying about resolutions, and differnet browsers.

May seem harsh, but that's my view as a professional.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads