Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I can't get the home page of
    http://www.efraindejesus.com
    to look the same in different browsers and the same on PC and mac. The issue is mainly with table alignment. I want the image on the left to align with the text. Also, the width of the right cell where the text is changes from browser to browser. and the type is in different sizes. I designed it on a mac and it looks like s**t on pc. Help!

Member #
    welcome to the world of webdesign....
    i'm just a beginner as well, but here's what i've gleaned so far,
    when it comes right down to it, you can't really have just one design that is going to work on all browsers and platforms.
    you can try your best, setting all sizes as ems or %, and by making sure to specify all parameters because default values will differ between browsers and platforms.
    the best way i know to address the issue is to use css with html and javascript.
    your site is very simple.....i'd suggest creating it using css and divs instead of just html and tables. that way you can create a separate stylesheet for different browsers and platforms, accounting for the slight variation in code interpretation....and use a simple javascript to detect the user's settings and use the appropriate stylesheet.

check out "w3schools" for good tutorials on css. it will make your life a lot easier and allow you to make easy updates sitewide in the future.

Member #
    yes I am starting to come to grips with the technical agonies of the trade... I did try to use CSS, I guess i didn't use it enough. what is div? I will check the tutorial...thanks you very much for your help.

Member #
    a div is a division of the page.....similar idea to a td (table cell). divs are defined by stylesheets. tables are defined within the html only. tables can also be inserted within a div. but divs are more powerful because you can use an internal or external stylesheet to define all their characteristics.

so you can have 1 html page that can be viewed with many different external css stylesheets. for my first site i made 4 stylesheets for IE and netscape for 800x600 and 1024x760 screen sizes. the stylesheets differ only slightly in the dimensions of some divs to adjust for the different browsers and screens. it was very easy to modify the css and keeps download time and file size to a minimum because you aren't creating 4 different lengthy html files. the html is short, simple, and clean.

good luck, definitely go through the tutorials.

Remove Ads