Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    A little brief background first---
    I'm considering a career change from the world of architecture to the world of web design. I've done a lot of graphics work before, so I've got the visual end down. I've also got a little experience w/ web site design -- I've made a couple basic HTML sites in the past and one using ImageReady back in my school days.

So my question is---
    With so many scripting languages and what not out there, how do you decide which one to dive into?
    CSS sounds promising... I like the idea of seperating style & content (less code, faster loading pages, higher search engine rankings). Would I couple that w/ XHTML? Or should I go with HTML & JavaScript?
    Or what about a server-side script such as PHP?
    Or should I just go with a WYSIWYG editor, such as Dreamweaver? Does Dreamweaver output decent / clean code?

Thanks for any and all help!

Member #
    OK, here is a quick crash course into what each 'language' does:

XHTML and HTML: They control content. For example, they define tables, paragraphs and headings. XHTML is a redefinition of HTML and for your purposes, the differences can be ignored for now...

CSS: It controls style, including layout.

Javascript: this is client-side and it allows some dynamic content. It allows you to embed little 'programs' in your pages; for example, a clock that ticks every second.

PHP, ASP, JSP and other server-side languages: These allow more powerful dynamic content and can do a lot more. For example, they can handle sending forms to email, accessing databases, guestbooks, etc. Depending on you want to do, you may have to learn one eventually. I recommend PHP.

WYSIWIG editors: Personally I hand-code everything. Yes it's slower and less wrist-friendly, but that's me. Others can help you more in this aspect.

As for changing careers: are you sure you want to do this jump while not knowing a lot about web design? Presumably you know a lot more about architecture. If you want, you may want to become a web designer dealing with the artistic side of things while leaving the coding to other people.

Whatever you choose, good luck! Web work is fun
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    Thanks for the info! I'm not planning on jumping right into a career immediately... I figure it will take some time to self teach myself to a proficient level.
    Thanks again!

Remove Ads