Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

CMP
    Member #
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this website after doing some extensive searching and research on web design issues.

I am I professional freelance photographer that is getting into web design to not only design and maintain my own website for photography, but to hopefully add to my income by doing contract work and designing when I'm not shooting.

After doing some research on colleges and tech schools, I have decided it would cost too much and take too long to go to a 4 year college for web design.....I just want to learn the basics of web design to get started, and later I may consider a degree in marketing.

I have decided on a local tech school that offers a certification in web design, and will take one year. I spoke to the instructor, and he is willing to work with me on attendance as far as my photography goes (I shoot NASCAR races and have to be out of town for days at a time) some colleges I looked into were not willing to do this.

My question is, how can I make the most out this class since it's pretty much a crash course in web design? Are there some things I should know that will help me get a leg up?

Also, I was wondering if being a photographer will help me in the long run in getting contract jobs.....For instance, being able to produce my own images for application to a web site, as opposed to having to pay usage fees for images. Would it help me make more money, or would it just end up being more work?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Craig

Member #
    I just jumped right into webdesign and am self taught. I do have an advantage since I've owned my own computers since 1983 (first one was a Commodore 64 - anyone remember BASIC [aka TURTLE], and RUN magazine?) Anyway, a crash course may help you get a good start on the basics. Programming changes so quickly these days, (ie. RSS & AJAX) that just jumping right in is the only real way to keep up. In fact I have only recently become comfortable with CSS and now am tasked to update clients sites to run better & faster (NO TABLES - YUCK!) So if you know nothing about HTML, XHTML, SHTML, PHP, ASP, java, css, etc. then yes take the course to get a foundation, but by all means learn as much as you can by programming/testing like there is no tomorrow!

Member #
    I also have a background in photography, and yes, it helps. But not in the same way described by audiofreak.

The principles of composition as well as general visual aesthetic are all still relevant in web design. Incorporating photography and images to the layout, definitely a plus. A sense of graphic design, that is directly related to both photography and web design is very useful, and will not be obsolete in a few months.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I have designed a few sites for friends and have good knowledge of html.
    If I wanted to build websites for money would I need to have any qualifications or anything like that?

Member #
    The proof is in the pudding. While getting that bit of paper saying how good you are is desirable, you cannot beat experience.

I do not have any qualifications in web design and my workload is constantly improving, through this sites (and other sites like its) Request A Service feature, and by word of mouth.

So, no you do not need qualifications to build websites for money, although for a big company they would probably expect you to be qualified.

Member #
    I agree with bfsog, but I also want to point out that oftentimes a site for money has a different look & feel than sites you'd make for your friends. How good are you at professional-looking html?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

CMP
    Member #
    Actually, I just got started and I'm in the process of learning HTML. I'm a quick learner so I figure I'll be able to start making some money with basic HTML pages in a couple of months.....Then of course, I will work on honing my design skills and work towards higher-end, higher paying web sites. That's my goal for now.....I'll see what happens as time goes on and I'll keep an open mind, that's for sure.

Member #
    Right.
    So I can sell websites with no qualifications as long as I have the experience and knowledge to do so.

Is there anything else I would need before I could sell a website or offer my services to a client?

Member #
    A nice dark suit & tie? LOL!!!

Member #
    Possibly a portfolio.

Remove Ads