Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I need to take a weekend crash course on having a calendar of available slots on the website and a corresponding database updated each time a slot is purchased. The customer will be using a Yahoo! Merchant Starter package, which will allow the credit card purchases, but which doesn't support real-time updating of external databases, so it looks like that's all on me.

Yahoo! supports PHP & Perl scripting; MySQL database.

What's the best solution for this? It's a two way street, right, so I need a solution for updating the DB when the credit card is confirmed, and I also need the calendar to properly load off the DB each time the page loads.

(The DB would be so simple, I could even imagine working with a text file, but maybe that's just my comfort zone . . . )

So just a simple explanation / opinion of what technologies I should use, that would be great, and also, any book suggestions would be much appreciated.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Oh yeah, links to free scripts that may fit the bill, that would be very nice, too.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi,

Not sure if this helps or not.

But I made a availibility cander for a holiday retal web site last year.

You update the calander via a backend that lloks very simalr to the front end.

You can see a working example (front and back ends) here:

http://www.rrss.co.uk/cal_ex/

Let me know if you think it's useful to you and I'll send you some of the code.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard S
    Hi,

Not sure if this helps or not.

But I made a availibility cander for a holiday retal web site last year.

You update the calander via a backend that lloks very simalr to the front end.

You can see a working example (front and back ends) here:

http://www.rrss.co.uk/cal_ex/

Let me know if you think it's useful to you and I'll send you some of the code.
    Wow, that's exactly what I would need.

Before I even look at the code though, can you just give me a basic explanation of how you did it?

I mean, what type of code you're using on the front, what you're using on the back . . . I looked at the source (and remember, I'm a novice to web programming, I didn't even know what the "DTD" HTML meant) and I couldn't see any code inline and I couldn't see any link to code on the server.
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well I made it in PHP and MySQL.

It was actually the reason I started learning PHP in the first place.

The MySQL table it use has 12 rows, one for each month, and a field for the name of the month, then 31 more fields that represent the days of the month.

Each 'day' field can hold a integer, with 0 meaning the day is booked, 1 meaning provisional, and 2 meaning confirmed.

Wrote the PHP to go through each day of the month, and each month of the year. For each day of the year the script checks the state of the corosponding MySQL table and adjusts the background colour to match.

The update calender is the same, except instead of just printing the day of the month, the script prints a link with the month and day of the month as a GET statement on the end of the URL.This links to a script which displays a form allowing you to enter the new state of the day and the number of days to update from the date that was clicked.

This from send the month, date, new state and number of days to a script which updates the MySQL table.

Thats basicly it, there was a little more work to get the format right. For example the rows in the HTML table are off set depending on the day of the week the month starts.

Hope this helps.

Member #
    Hope this helps? Are you kidding me? That helped a lot! Okay, I think I'm going to go buy a couple books first (recommendations appreciated) and maybe I'll hit you up for that code after I get a good foundation (so at least when you send me the code I can know what the heck I'm looking at.)

Thanks for taking the time to help out.
    ~ mikeycorn

Remove Ads