Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Want to learn.

Member #
    I want to learn how to make websites, Design is not too bad. I know simple concepts (most of them are common sense anyway). Basically my problem is with coding.

So how do I learn? My idea so far is to learn HTML more in-depth and then learn CSS. Once I know those two then i can get to know programs like dreamweaver better. Are they any other languages i should know? Am i going about this the wrong way?

Member #
    No, that's good. I'd say: First learn HTML. Then unlearn some by learning XHTML. Then learn CSS. Then make your first homepage. Use the HTML you've learnt and the CSS you've learnt. Then learn CSS layout.

Together with layout goes image editing. Learn photoshop/fireworks or something like that. By that time I'm quite sure you know what to learn yourself (I'd say server-script, and then javascript, and then flash and then... )

Member #
    Liked
    754 times
    You should learn HTML and CSS for sure.

You'll then discover that after all of that, your web pages
    will be "static" pages. In order to have forms, galleries, image
    uploading, databases, and "dynamic" pages that display on-the-fly,
    you'll need to learn a server-side language such as PHP or Perl.

Javascript is a "client-side" language and cannot be used for the
    things described above ... although Javascript is good for many things.

Focus on CSS and then get right into some tutorials on either PHP or
    Perl. I'm partial to Perl, but either are totally necessary if you
    plan on making forms or galleries.

Member #
    I cant think i would want to make forums, but i would like dynamic pages and other such stuff. PHP or Perl then.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not a lot of point making forums -- there are sufficient numbers of folks who've done it already in the open source realm (eg. phpBB2, Simplemachines) that you'd do better to integrate them into your sites... that is, of course, unless you want to become an Open Source developer in which case go for it ;-)

Sean

Member #
    Isnt it better to just have a online database with the website as a front end? In other words all information is stored in a database which can be updated by the users and developers etc etc and then the website displays that information? Is that PHP?

Member #
    Hi again,

yes, that's what dynamic content is about. Just let me tell you that there are more than PHP avaliable. I'd vote for ASP.Net. It has a huge userbase, and if you, say learn the language C# (just like in PHP the language is named PHP) for ASP.Net, then you'll also be able to program real programs. Hence you can say that you both learn to be a web developer and a programmer.

This is a great book about it where you learn to build a dynamic website. (I'm reading it right now and it's really good!)
    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/aspnet1/

You'll learn database driven content management, login, web services, xml etc in that book...

Remove Ads