Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    How do I create scrollbars in the cell of a table in Dreamweaver (HTML)?

(If necessary, the more general question would be how do I create scrollbars?)

Is there any way to change the look of scrollbars? So for example, if I design a site that's primarily red, can I change the look to match the red color scheme?

Finally, if I want to make "custom" scrollbars like the ones on this site... (sorry, this was the only reference that I could think of for what I'm talking about)

www.greenday.com

...would I have to use flash?

Thanks for your help!!!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The easiest way to have standard windows scroll bars is to use either a iFrame, or a DIV with the overflow property set to 'scroll'.

You can change the colour off the bars using CSS, but this only works in Internet Explorer, Firefox just ignores the CSS and displays in normal colours.

You can also make scrolling DIVs using some clever JavaScript, though it's not easy. visit this site:

http://www.dyn-web.com

They offer a free script that may help. I've used it on a couple of sites (example: http://www.cotton-clouds.co.uk/cotto...s.php?p=c&c=co and www.lilly.rrss.co.uk ). It works well cross browser, but isn't the easiest script to get the hang of to start with.

Member #
    What's an iFrame? Or a DIV?

Also, how do you configure CSS? I'm a beginner, and I really don't know a lot of things.
    I have seen your future, and I have learned
    There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.
    I HAVE WON!!!!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreylu
    What's an iFrame? Or a DIV?

Also, how do you configure CSS? I'm a beginner, and I really don't know a lot of things.
    IFrame: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...tingframes.asp

DIV:http://www.codedemons.net/index/tips...r-More-Control

CSS:http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard S
    The easiest way to have standard windows scroll bars is to use either a iFrame, or a DIV with the overflow property set to 'scroll'.
    No, no iframes! They really aren't necessary just for scrolling content.

And can you not set the overflow CSS property to scroll on other elements as well (in this particular case, a td)?

Member #
    I don't see what's so bad about iFrames. Would anyone care to point this out to me?
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kevind_2007
    I don't see what's so bad about iFrames. Would anyone care to point this out to me?
    Crawling is one issue, the general evil people have with regular frames is another (the way the back button works can be inconsistent across browsers, and can also be confusing for users). iframes are also a pain when using Javascript, but that's an issue unto itself.

At the most basic level here, though, it's just that they're not necessary.

Member #
    But iframes are a hell of a lot easier to update...So what about the back button? Most webpages don't go that deep into detail anyways, so why cant they just navigate back to where they were in the first place? Even with dialup, this isnt that difficult...ppl are way too lazy nowadays.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Whether to create a usable website or not is an issue unto itself. If you know that everyone visiting your site will be able to make his or her way around without any trouble, you can ignore things like this. Otherwise, however, you have to consider the potential loss of audience due to people who are confused.

People aren't lazy, they're impatient, and even more so on the Internet, which is much famed for how *fast* you can get access to information.

EDIT: Oh, and as for being easier to update -- the difference is, I would argue, negligible. The only difference is that when you open a file, you either open what is embedded in the iframe (where you find yourself instantly), or you have to scroll to where you have the content (which, if you've written your code well, is a very quick process anyway).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by badaboom
    But iframes are a hell of a lot easier to update...So what about the back button? Most webpages don't go that deep into detail anyways, so why cant they just navigate back to where they were in the first place? Even with dialup, this isnt that difficult...ppl are way too lazy nowadays.
    Hey, no cussing on this site!! Anyways, I don't get that CSS language...is iframes a type of language or something? I don't know...
    I have seen your future, and I have learned
    There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.
    I HAVE WON!!!!

Remove Ads