Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Is it just me or is the industry starting to slow. Freelance work seems to get harder and harder to find. Any one else having trouble?
    When life gets you down grab some M&M's.
    http://www.lebanonequestrians.org

Member #
    Hmmm...I'm interested in seeing the responses to this thread. Things are slowing down for me at my current employer and I'm just now considering making a leap into freelance and consulting work.
    -Mike
    michael murphy
    Professional Web Development
    http://www.letsgomurphys.com/

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've been thinking exactly the opposite. Over here my company has gotten an amazing amount of business in the past few months, and I keep getting inquiries for websites even though I've taken my portfolio offline. Luckily for me, the friends I refer them to are nice enough to give me a nice referral fee

In fact, one of our longest standing employees made the jump to freelance a few weeks ago. He's got 2 kids - so I doubt he'd jump in without the market being good.

Maybe you should read into marketing.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I would agree with brak. Things seem to be hotting up in the design community and there is some fantastic work starting to be produced. As far as I can see the future is looking quite good. People are starting to appreciate what good design can do for companies.

I don't think you can judge the industry on just the local demmand for websites or your personal experience. There is a huge amount of competition out there now, so I can understand why you may think that, but if you get a lucky break then this would change your opinion for sure.

As brak said, marketing would help. I have noticed in the past that a lot of people seem to rely too much on their portfolio website and looking online for work, which is a big mistake. I used to do the same.

I have noticed that most of my work in the past year has come from word of mouth and luck of knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time. Only 1 project has ever come from my site that really materialised. The rest of enquiries were just from people looking for a forum skin or something!

Member #
    Dan-
    Thanks for your input, you're absolutely right. Right now I'm working for a firm full time but I've been looking for freelance work with the idea that after a while I'd transition to that full time. I have been relying mainly on my online portfolio and forums and job sites to find freelance work. Luckily my girlfriend has a high profile job that has us at a lot of social events. I guess I should start making better use of those contacts.
    Thanks again,
    Mike
    michael murphy
    Professional Web Development
    http://www.letsgomurphys.com/

Member #
    The industry here(South Africa) is by no means overflooded. I dont have a portfolio up yet, but Ive landed 2 major contracts for sites just by word-of-mouth and telling people what I do.

Another thing I have realised here is that webdesign companies do not make use of web standards, nor do they have a clue what CSS is. Which makes selling a site to a company extremely easy!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by zen_warrior
    Dan-
    I guess I should start making better use of those contacts.
    A perfect chance to get together some business cards and hand out. And buy the guy with the flashest clothes a beer :lick:

Member #
    yeh I think if you advertise yourself as a freelancer you're less likely to get work than if you "pretend" to be a real company with a real office etc.

Remove Ads