Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey... I was browsing the web, and was interested to find websites all about ideas for new website.

I have to create a website for University next semester, so some of these ideas have been useful, but I was wondering what you all thought the rest of this sentence might be:

"Wouldn't it be good if there were a website that..."

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Member #
    Wouldn't it be good if there were a web site that did an analysis of cooperative coevolutionary algorithms?

But seriously, if you need ideas it's probably best to do something your interested in; a hobby or something. To make a good web site you need to be very familiar with and understand the subject content. I can think of tons of ideas for new web sites, but that doesn't mean you will like any of them, and it doesn't mean that they haven't been done many times over already.

Member #
    Wouldn't it be good if there were a website that had a special offer on Apple Powerbooks.

Want one, get two free.

Member #
    ...could help me do my laundry, solve my finacial problems, end global conflict, solve world hunger, and at the same time remain standards compliant and semantic :]

I wish...

Member #
    "Wouldn't it be good if there were a website that scanned your homework and did it all for you. Of course, it would have to 'show it's work'."
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'd like to see a website that allowed one to group tags and their associated posts, and allowed you to tag the tags and refelect on how you think tagging of tags will affect the blogsphere as a whole. From your mobile phone.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I like to see sites that do things and don't get hung up on being "pretty"...

You look at the most useful sites on the web and they're actually, often, fairly bland. W3C site is a wonderful reference work, yet has very little in the way of images or what designers would call "style"... or, rather, maybe it has a lot of style in its minimalism.

Often when somebody submits a site here it will be incredibly complex and will have lots of bits and pieces that they've designed in Photoshop and the like... but, in reality, that adds absolutely nothing to the site in terms of usability. It is the basic structure and content that makes a site, not whether it looks pretty.

Looking pretty is great, but it's a "bonus" rather than a requirement for anything where the purpose is to impart information rather than wow the visitors... clearly if you're a web design company you'd want to impress, if you're a local doctor's surgery then chances are your visitors will be much happier getting the information as quickly as possible rather than having to gaze at a photo of the doctor who would have treated them had they not died sitting at their PC waiting for the website to load ;-)

Sean

Member #
    Aesthetics and Usability ARE NOT exclusive.
    Graphic Design vs. Usability
    The Sphere of Design

"Wouldn't it be good if there were a website that could interpret women." :classic:

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I never said they were Dave... one just has to focus on which of the two is the most important for an individual project... and in most cases (not all) the usability is number one priority... aesthetics then put the icing on the cake :-)

Sean

Member #
    Sometimes visual appeal is the function of the site, as with an artist's portfolio. And at other times it must compliment usability. Any design that does not aid in the site's ultimate purpose is bad. A site can be extremely flamboyant yet not convey the intended information, or be easily accessable and usable, but bore the viewer. It all depends on what you want the site to convey.

There really is no conflict between aesthetics and usability, as they both must aid in the user's understanding and appreciation of the content. You just have to strike the right balance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads