Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I am a beginner/intermediate Flash designer who is starting to focus on my business paperwork between clients. i already have the following:
    Design Contract (template, actual document that lists terms and disclaimers)
    Web Maintenance Contract
    Invoice For Maintenance (to send to the client)
    Pricing Reference Guide (for my eyes only, a general list that says how much I charge for "Digital Image Manipulation" per hour. I am still trying to improve this.)
    Project Price Quote (a document formed in tables that describes the task, estimated work time, my hourly rate, and the grand total)
    Project Questionnaire Sheet (similar to what designers have on their website. I am still trying to find a good template to improve upon)
    Project Information Sheet (for my eyes and the client's only)
    Official Proposal (written in letter form, basically explains to the client in plain english what needs to be done, what I can do, and my limitations..all based upon the notes I took from the first meeting)

Is there anything that I am leaving out? Or condense?

Thanks

Member #
    You have a great deal more then I have even when I try and stretch myself.

I usually try to get a project brief from clients with what they want on the site and what the goals of the site are etc. Then there is a contract that states exactly what work I am responsible for, when it will be done and how much it will cost. This includes a lot of stuff you have mentioned above. It's all pretty much included into one documentation.

Then finally there is an invoice sent if need be. I have a template for the invoice but have never had to use it yet because I have been lucky with my clients paying before I'm finished.

I think you may have gone a little over board. Your contract should cover most of the above and protect you, that's your primary concern. I dont think you need all of that. Most of your documents can be rolled into one. Don't milk it because you don't want to spend so much time documenting your every move on projects. Especially when you could do similar, much quicker.

Perhaps I am too brief? I'm just doing it how I have been advised to do so.

Your contract should include -
    All personal details of client.
    Project overview
    Stages of development and their time it will take to complete
    Explanation of each stage stating exactly what you are going to be doing and are responsible for
    Total quote with a break down of what each part of the project will cost
    A deadline date
    Disclaimer and all the small print that protects both you and your client
    Signatures etc

There is a little more to include then that (I dont have my contract template with me but that's what i can remember so far)

You will notice that covers a lot of what you are doing, but just in one document and it only requires one signing. Instead of 50,000 forms. Saves time and ink

Hope this helps.

Remove Ads