Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Anyone know of a script I could install that would allow the end user to do the following:

Type information in a text field of a form near the top of a page that would upon tabbing to the next field, put the information the user just entered into a field at the bottom of the page.

This would be very useful in an interactive interview script I am building. The information entered during the interview would automatically show up at the bottom of the page for the interviewer to refer to without having to page back up to where it was originally entered. (It is a long interview.)

I have searched around a lot of java scripts and find nothing. Sure would appreciate hearing from anyone that has or anyone that wants to get paid to build one.

Thanks,
    Mike

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, that shouldn't be too difficult at all.

Assuming you have two textareas, set ids on both of them:
    Code:
    <textarea id="field1"></textarea>
    This is so that you can refer to them separately through JavaScript. Then, you can use the `onblur' attribute of the textarea element to tell JavaScript to execute something when it loses focus (i.e., when you tab away from it).

In this case, you want the content from the current textarea to go to another textarea:
    Code:
    <textarea id="field1" onblur="document.getElementById('field2').value = document.getElementById('field1').value;"></textarea>
    <textarea id="field2"></textarea>
    This will put the text from field1 into field2 whenever field1 is blurred -- whenever you focus anywhere else after having been focused on it. The code will be the same for any other field, too, except you can replace `getElementById('field1')' with `getElementById('*elementId*')' where *elementId* is the id of the current element.

Remove Ads