Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, i want to do a new layout for www.ainsleehooper.com something a bit less text and a bit more graphical but not sure what to do as I can't draw. I'm thinking the main areas of interest is my blog and my moblog, and then my album and then my family tree, so i'm thinking of maybe having my latest moblog pic up on the front page and my webcam too. I just can't work out how to lay it out. Any ideas? help, thanks, Ainslee

Member #
    Add some color. You have some good ideas. If you know how to use flash you can make a few nice visuals with limited art skills. Make a side bar or add some sort of organizing element to the page. Emphasis the parts you think are important.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think the layout is fine. You might want to try adding some background images (fading to bottom or right) behind the top and left areas, or just adding solid background colors. Text isn't always bad, if it's accompanied nicely :-)

Member #
    Hi, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I'd to learn flash but have never tried it before. How hard is it for a layman to learn on their own? Also, i'd like to add color but i don't want it to then turn out tacky, so not sure what kind of colors to add, or background images etc. in regards to the side bar or some sort of organising element, could you plesae give me an example so i can work on this? thanks heaps, Ainslee

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Darker, somber colors are usually what I perfer.

Flash isn't all that difficult to learn the basics, but then you can learn a whoole lot of other things that are really cool. The biggest barrier of entry for Flash is the cost of Macromedia Flash, the development program, which was somewhere around $400 or $500 last time I checked.

Member #
    i'm trying a new layout at http://www.ainsleehooper.com/layout/layout.htm i know the colors aren't great, and i've been playing with color schema but not sure which way to go, i want something hip. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ainslee

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    First things first, you might want to watch out for the width of the box on the right. Right now, there are a couple of hyperlinks that are so long that they stick out of the box, which isn't exactly beautiful. Also, you might want to make the margins on the box a little bigger than 0, as the text right now is exactly next to the border, which doesn't look all that stunning.

In addition, the text in your menu on the left side isn't aligned to the top; instead, it looks like its aligned to the bottom. I think it would probably look better if aligned top, but that's up to you.

As for color schemas... I'm not very good at that, so I'll let someone else help you :-).

Member #
    hi, i had a look at the links on the left, both in the css and the file itself and all i could see was aligned middle? also i'm not sure how to fix up the right hand column, made it so that only one item comes up on the feed but i'm just getting to understand the css sheets so i'm not sure what to do to ammend this? Sorry, am a newbie, but eager to learn, thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My mistake, you have an extra blank h4 at the top of that. The right column just needs to be wider. The links can't be broken over two lines, so they just stick out of the box. If you make the box wider, they'll fit inside.

Member #
    i worked out how to get the latest image to work on the site www.ainsleehooper.com/layout/layout.php now i just have to work that silly blog feed content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads