Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I've had someone translate my site into Japanese and am going to run the 2 sites in parallell.

They have sent me all the translations as Word documents containing Japanese characters.

Obviously when I try to c+p this into an HTML document it all comes up as ????????? .

How can I make it display these characters?

Is it as simple as downloading some kind of Japanese font? If so, any recommendations?

In the past I coded a site for someone in Bulgaria and noticed this in the code:

<p><a name="bulgaria"></a> <b>??????? ??

Is there something similar for Japanese?

many thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    1. Make sure your web browser is able to display japanese characters. Usually need to download an extension or a language pack.

2. May need a different header within the HTML to also help display them.

That <a name="bulgaria"> was just a normal tag Nothing to do with showing the language, unless they have some back end code to pick up on the name variable, but that'd be a really odd way of doing it.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    1. Make sure your web browser is able to display japanese characters. Usually need to download an extension or a language pack.

2. May need a different header within the HTML to also help display them.

That <a name="bulgaria"> was just a normal tag Nothing to do with showing the language, unless they have some back end code to pick up on the name variable, but that'd be a really odd way of doing it.
    thanks, have done that - - my browser displays Japanese fine though, it's more about when I'm coding and need to be able to display Japanese characters in the actual code.

Have installed the Windows language pack too , and still no joy.

I'm thinking I might have to convert all the Kanji characters into Unicode - - - - eg &#2648 , as when I paste them into my HTML editor they just come up as blocks or question marks.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was going to say, that's the only way I can think of. But really, where it matters is in your editor. Your editor has to be able to handle Unicode in order for the characters to paste. Just about every Linux editor can handle Unicode nowadays, and by consequence gVim can probably do so as well, so you might want to look into using that just for this bit (http://www.vim.org/).

Remove Ads