Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Relative Sizes

Member #
    Hey everyone, I need some help regarding the design of a website. I'm attempting to make the site as accessible as possible by using all relative sizes (as opposed to absolute sizes) and have encountered a problem. I'm using Dreamweaver MX 2004 with a table and when I insert images that I have made into the table, the table expands to meet the images' original sizes instead of scaling the image to fit the page. The images stay measured in absolute measurement, and when I go and try to change their widths to percentages, the site gets messed up. Does anyone have any advice?

Member #
    the point of a fluid layout isn't to maintain the proportions. That's one of it's major weaknesses. If you want control, use fixed. If you don't mind that text will be too long to read comfortably, and there will be different proportions for different screen sizes, use fluid. Here's an interesting article on the issue: http://www.456bereastreet.com/archiv...width_elastic/

As far as I know, there is no way to make image sizes relative. A typical fluid layout will not try to maintain its original proportion but adapt the positions of its elements. see here for some properly implemented fluid layouts: http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/ar...ou_decide.html

Remove Ads