Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I created http://www.the-paragon.net about 10 days ago....

It's had around 450 visitors so far, and very few of them have stuck around to post in the shoutbox or register in the forum.....

So I was wondering, how does one build up a good userbase? Are there any techniques I should know?

Member #
    In general, if you have really good content and add to it often users will stick around.

You have really cool wallpapers, but that's about it. Just keep making more, and even if people don't join your forum or reply in your shoutbox you can be sure that they'll be looking around. I mean, c'mon, I did!

Member #
    I agree. just keep adding quality content and invite them to chat about the content or whatever you want..

Side note: Best forum skin having to do with space I've ever seen.. gj on that..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Thanks, guys....

By quality content, you mean....what, exactly?

As for the wallpapers, a new one is posted about once a week

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow, great wallpapers! Already used one :-). Once I get Linux running again, I get the feeling my four desktops will each have one of yours :-).

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    What they mean is something that people want to read, something they come back for. Websites do not fall into the 'if you build it, they will come' genre. However the genre 'if you build it and spend time developing it regulary, they might stay' may apply.

Simply posting a new wallpaper on a regular basis is not enough. Yes you have some very nice wallpapers on your site but honestly I can pull up google do a quick search and find 100's of sites like yours. That is what your site seems to be, one of those sites you might make a quick pitstop by and pick up a cool wallpaper and maybe never come across again.

You need to get an edge. Something that makes people want to set up camp at your site. Maybe have a wallpaper contest where partisipants submit entries and depending on how many downloads they recieve in a given time period, or maybe a site like deviantart.com where users submit wallpaper art and it gets critiqued by others... you need to somehow make it theirs where users feel like your site is theirs and not just a place for you to show off your talent.

Rule one in webdesign is your website is not for you, it is for your users. The fact is that people are more interested in what they can get out of your site than how talented you are.

Member #
    The thing is...the contest stuff and the image upload for criticism stuff has already been done before. I often called people silly for creating 50 sites to fulfill the same task....that's why I haven't added that functionality to mine....

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    If those 50 sites are getting the traffic you want than how can they be silly? Besides you dont have to use that exact example, just find whatever works for you.

Member #
    That traffic is already accounted for, isn't it? It's very difficult to pull someone who already has a going account at a site to your site, unless you offer something radically different. And, as a single person, I can't compete effectively with the teams of developers behind those sites. So I have to come up with something original, that can be run by a single person

Member #
    It would not have to be radically different from what they offer, just better (though that's relative, isn't it?). See, I stopped eating at Taco Bell because I found something better. Maybe Taco Bell is more popular, but I found a little niche place that's much better in my opinions. Sure they didn't get as many people there to begin with, but I'm more satisfied, and I bet their customers are too. Now they have plenty each day (sometimes more than they can handle around the lunch hour).

If you see a site that you like the idea of but it has a crap interface with crap user controls, just make that better and users will flock to you. Nothing is ever "good enough" for people. I don't know why that would be different on the web. You can use that to your advantage.

Once you have something really cool set up (I'm sure you will sooner or later ) be sure to have some good advertising ideas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads