Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have just recently decided to jump into the ocean of designing (thatís web designing) for which I am interested in learning different languages and tools to communicate with the species under water (browsers and servers).

So the question is which language and which tool will remain the finest, for hmmm lets say about all eternity (well I wonít be living for that long but I certainly need my work to remain there)

Every comment is welcome accept for dishearten oneís

Member #
    XHTML and CSS are the obvious choices to begin with. Did I have to mention those?

What kind of design on the web? Photoshop will probably be a timeless tool. But if you're looking more for a vector-based design you'll want Illustrator. That'll probably be timeless also. If you want to design animations you should go for Flash.

Hmm, languages... PHP is great, but lots of people will tell you that ASP.NET is great too. They'll both be around a good long time. More commonly I have seen web hosts with PHP support, but I think if you ever want to do work for a web firm ASP.NET would be a good choice. Or even Java.

If you want to design the structure of data you can try out XML.

There's a broad spectrum or tools and languages that aren't going away. Decide what kind of design you want to do, or try them all a bit and find one that you like the most. Nobody can narrow it down to one or two. Maybe one or two that they use the most, but good designers are well-versed in many of them.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    No one language is perfect for anything, let alone everything. XHTML and CSS will stay (XML specifically) because you need them to generate web pages in the first place, but how you generate the markup and style can be almost anything.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Bones
    XHTML and CSS are the obvious choices to begin with. Did I have to mention those?

What kind of design on the web? Photoshop will probably be a timeless tool. But if you're looking more for a vector-based design you'll want Illustrator. That'll probably be timeless also. If you want to design animations you should go for Flash.

Hmm, languages... PHP is great, but lots of people will tell you that ASP.NET is great too. They'll both be around a good long time. More commonly I have seen web hosts with PHP support, but I think if you ever want to do work for a web firm ASP.NET would be a good choice. Or even Java.

If you want to design the structure of data you can try out XML.

There's a broad spectrum or tools and languages that aren't going away. Decide what kind of design you want to do, or try them all a bit and find one that you like the most. Nobody can narrow it down to one or two. Maybe one or two that they use the most, but good designers are well-versed in many of them.
    Ok I am getting the Idea But what about java I mean isn't it only for software programming will it work with web?
    another thing what is jscript and javascript

Member #
    Java = computer programming language. It can be used on the web, infact very well. Java on-the-web are called applets. You have no doubt seen java implemented on the web, you see the little cup? Java on-the-web is most oftenly used for games/chat rooms.

JScript = Microsofts version of JavaScript

JavaScript = a client side scripting language.

Member #
    Acctually I don't have any experience in java nore any other language, Can you tell me one thing, is the syntax of applet, JSP and javascript the same

Member #
    I couldnt tell you for definent in regards to JSP, but I am presuming it is mainly like Java.

And Java's syntax is based on C, as is JavaScript (loosely) but IMO Java and JavaScript syntax are not really alike.

JavaScript was so-called to use Java's popularity.

FYI: JavaScript was originally called ECMAscript.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    FYI: JavaScript was originally called ECMAscript.
    ECMAScript is actually slightly separate. ECMAScript is the standard that JavaScript is based on. Flash's ActionScript is also based on the ECMAScript standard, which is why they're so incredibly similar. JavaScript tends to interface with the W3C's DOM, whereas ActionScript interfaces with Flash objects... syntactically, however, they are essentially the same because they are based on the same standard, ECMAScript.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Java can be used on the web two ways...

Firstly, as an applet. An applet runs on the client PC, so they have to have a JRE (Java Runtime Environment) available to them - even if it is just a small one on a browser. You will see these on "Java Chat" type programs where the client needs to connect to the server and stay connected. I would not, personally, make an applet an integral part of a site that you want to be accessible because of its dependency on software installed on the visitor's machine though... many of the traditional roles of applets can now be achieved equally well using Ajax which needs no plug-ins, just an up-to-date browser.

Secondly, as a servlet. These are pieces of Java code that run on the server and do, to some extent, the same sort of thing as ASP or PHP... communicate with databases, process data, validate data etc... these can be used in conjunction with applets (as I said before) or can simply be used to render pages.

Put simply, JSP the way you access servlets from a webpage. In terms of architecture it is more complex than them but on a very high level could be thought of as simply an alternative to ASP or PHP...

Have a look at the Wikipedia's description... probably puts it better than I could... I know what I want to say, but I'm not saying it very well..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaServer_Pages

Sean

Member #
    Ok thanks for the answer

Remove Ads