Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    wassup im new and i need help on created teh perfect layout...i want a layout like yahoo msn...or anything that has a clean but attrative layout...any suggestions...help is needed urgently...thanks in advance

Member #
    What do you need help on?

The code.. The content.. Certain image effects?

Your question is slightly vague.

We know you need help, but are you handcoding the layout, or using some form of software?

Member #
    well i have to hand code the site...u know how yahoo is made and msn....everything is well content...organized is what i mean...thats what im tryin to get...something like a 3 column layout...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Three-column layouts are, from what I gather, hell on earth, especially when you don't know exactly what height you want the columns to be. There are, however, certain hacks to do it if you browse online.

Mind you, Yahoo! and MSN aren't exactly examples of clean layouts. Far too much information packed in far too little space. Although Yahoo! is better than MSN.

Member #
    ok but wat do you mean by hacks...please explain...tell me how do i get the hacks...u2u me if you cant expain openly

Member #
    Three-column layouts are, from what I gather, hell on earth
    Not true. You can do 3 col layouts just like yahoo! does by using the same method - tables. It's only when you try to do them in css that they become difficult.

Yahoo is basically a very big, very complex and very expensive content management system. Or CMS for sort. There are lots of CMS scipts available such as postnuke or xoops. They won't create anything as giganormous as Yahoo!, but they can get quite huge if you want them to.

For reviews of CMS sctips look at www.cmsmatrix.org

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Very true. I forgot to mention that I was thinking of CSS, as tabled design has begun to disappear from my brain, fortunately.

As for the hacks, I don't personally know them because I've never tried them, but you can find them with a Google search; or, I believe there are a few good ones at A List Apart

Member #
    thanks for the resource

Member #
    Three column layouts in CSS are not that bad. PLEASE don't make another table-based site. They eat bandwidth and are much harder to maintain or modify. Learn to do a CSS based 3 column layout, even if it takes you a little longer at first. You won't regret it.

There are some really good free tutorials about 3 column layouts out there. Just do a Google search on 3 column layouts. There's also this one page that shows up high in the results that lists something like 47 ways to do a 3 column layout, all of which are free.

The layout I used to learn 3 column layouts is found at http://www.bluerobot.com/. Just make sure to change the colors, etc, so that your site looks unique. He has a lot of people copy him without doing any real work.

If you absolutely can't find anything at all, I can maybe give you a little help in figuring it out.

--Torus
    Get a view of business and web design from a fresh perspective at DiamondLime.com
    Fresh Business Ideas and Web Design

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Assuming you're referring to the three-column layout at http://bluerobot.com/web/layouts/layout3.html, while this is useful, when I, at least, say `three-column layout', that's not what I mean. Generally the columned layout that is difficult is the print-style column layout with fixed heights for all three columns that can change depending on the contents. There is no easy way to do that in CSS2, although CSS3 has a multi-column layout module designed to handle just that (http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-multicol-20010118/ ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads