Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    what is the reall difference? And isnt a developer basically a designer too? Does developers get more looked at than designers?

Member #
    Web designer: a person or business that designs and prepares content for the World Wide Web, including text, images, site architecture and multimedia

Web developer: An individual or company that specializes in the development of Web sites. Web developers handle all programming aspects of creating a Web site including HTML programming, creating graphics, adding pictures, creating links, and everything else that goes into building a Web site

Hope this helps.

Member #
    yupp! thanks! but does a developer get paid more, salary wise?

Member #
    Dude, you have more questions on here than anyone I've ever seen and you do no research on your own.
    Aren't you 17 and thinking about a career in this?
    I know I've told you to contact your local tech college or community college or university and see what they have to offer.
    Just based on the description above, common sense will tell you that a developer has more experience and training in the whole web design industry......therefore would make more money.
    But it will be training and experience that will determine how far you go and how much you make.
    Good luck......
    GMan

Member #
    I havent posted a question since the end of august, but anywayz, i did contact them! Burlington Community College wasnt specific about what course in relations to web development, so thus I came to ask this question b/c there are a lot of MORE EXP. ppl here and i have little knowlegde of this! I am learning HTML and CSS now, i'vbe been doing it for 4 days now and ITS EASY! when I 1st looked at the codes when I was doing my sites in FP and DW, i was like wtf, how can people know this! But hey! its made easy! next I wanna learn XHTML and ASP!

Member #
    Well if we take it with a pinch of salt, developers can (or are expected to) do a lot more than web designers.

I would say a developer would earn more, partly because they develop (meaning in some kind of programming language/scripting language) scripts, not just write XHTML/HTML and/or CSS and so on.

Having this skill means you have the basics down and going off to learn a new technology will not be as hard.

Member #
    Developers are in much higher demand right now compared to designers. I would say they tend to get better money but you get a lot of all rounders who can do both.

Member #
    I would just like to point out that designers and developers are completely different breeds. Design is a right brain process that involves intuition and holistic thinking, while web development is more of an engineering job. Few are good at both aspects.

Unless you are planning to go freelance, these positions are pretty much mutually exclusive. Design firms want people who design everything from print to environmental displays to web interfaces, and they want programmers who code and handle the backend. People who do both usually spread themselves too thin, and excel at none of these tasks.

At this point, you should explore further into both fields, but eventually you will have to decide if you are a designer or an engineer.

Member #
    "People who do both usually spread themselves too thin, and excel at none of these tasks"

I actually have to disagree with that statement. You do make excellent points, so I hate to take one thing you said and use it out of context....but even with that, the statement still stands on its own.

I strongly disagree that they excel at none of the tasks. Why? Because I do both, I know people that do both......while I will agree, that someone is usually better at one than the other, it doesn't mean that they won't excel at either.
    My strong point is design, but not because I can't code or run the backend.....just I have an eye for the design aspect. If I were to say that I have 100% grasp on the design end of it, I'd say I'm only about 70-80% of the same ability on the backend.......and I think you will find a lot more people that are like that, than the statement you make.
    I think it is important to learn the coding first, since really that is what it is all about.
    Again, please understand that I'm not picking apart everything you said, just the one statement.......and you make excellent points, so I don't want to take away from that either.
    You can do both, but the fact is that I don't know anybody that is a 100/100.....though I'm sure they are out there.
    Peace...
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack000
    People who do both usually spread themselves too thin, and excel at none of these tasks.
    People who are capable of both are usually exceptionally intelligent, and excel without effort. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads