Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    A friend has asked me to build him a site to show off his portfolio of photographs. My first thought was a flash site would be cool, but I have no experience with Flash. I can design a pretty nice looking one using the languages that I know (XHTML, PHP, XML, CSS...all that good stuff, though I'm ready and willing to learn more).
    However, on main problem I have is what can I use to make it so that all he has to do is upload his pictures to a folder on the server, and the website will do the rest. I've seen JSP do this, but first, if that is the best thing to use, where would be the best place to learn it. Second, would I need to have a server, or can the site be hosted elsewhere.
    Any design idea would be welcome, too.
    Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Alternitavely, I was also considering using a CMS (Content Managemant System) like Mambo, and host it at a compatible provider. I've had enough experience with Mambo to be able to set it up, but would this be the best idea?

Member #
    The upload side would be handled by a server side script. You could probably use JSP to do this but the more popular choice is php and mysql. First port of call would be hotscript.com or scriptsearch.com an look for gallery scripts. There are many and if you can find one that meats you requirements then you need only install and use it.

If however, you are set on writing your own, then have a read in the php manuals at the GD library functions. These alow you to do things like resize the photographs, make thumbnails and so forth.

Remove Ads