Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    With Adobe acquiring Macromedia there doesn't seem to be many choices for WYSIWYG editors in the future. Whatever Adobe decides to do with GoLive or Dreamweaver is anybody's guest, and the last thing us web designers needs is to have Adobe monopolizing the market. Is there anyone who thinks that Adobe has any competition in the future.

Member #
    I see no major competition ever really making a dent in Adobe. There will always be small time html editors around but I doubt anything on the scale of Dreamweaver or GoLive. I don't think they are monopolizing the market however.

Just because there is no one who you would consider to be competition to Adobe doesn't mean there aren't any other good products around for html editing. There are some really cool apps around, just not made by companies that would worry Adobe.

Member #
    How 'bout Apple they make great applications like Final Cut Pro and Shake with tools like these it wouldn't strike me as strange if they decide to enter the web arena. You see the reason I'm saying this is because I don't Adobe to be lulled into a false sense of security thinking with Macromedia out of the way everything will be smooth sailing. Competition keeps you on your toes especially when your providing tools to a wide user base.

Member #
    I think it would be very interesting to see Apple just on the band wagon but personally can't see it happening any time soon.

I think that Adobe will continue to improve the products. I really don't think they are the sort of company that would get into a comfort zone and decide to ease off.

Member #
    You're right, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Member #
    Checked out your site and it looks great, didn't realize that you're a Mac user. Does Dreamweaver run great on a Mac as it does on Windows. I'm also a newbie in web design, can you recommend any books that focus heavily on web design workflow.

Member #
    Thanks for your comments on my site, I appreciate it

The latest version of Dreamweaver (8) seems to run much better on the Mac then previous versions. Much faster and behaves itself better. I find myself more often then not using skEdit, which is a small html editor but is a really nice to use.

As for books, well there are loads. I would perhaps look into something like Dan Cederholm's Web Standards Solutions. That's a good book with some nice tips and techniques in there. It all depends on your user level really? Some books are aimed at more advanced users whereas some are more of an introductory book that start right at the beginning with the absolute basics.

Member #
    At this point I'm pretty much a beginner, but so far I have a basic understanding of HTML, XHTML and CSS. Right now I'm currently studying graphic design in my homeland and I would like to use my design skills for the web using CSS for my sites and a bit of Flash as well for multimedia work. Sadly where I live the web isn't big business, but in future I would like to chance all that.

Member #
    Apparently on Mac there is quite a lot of other good ones. But on windows we have a choice between Dreamweaver or *shudder* Frontpage.

Member #
    Erm, why dig up a thread that is 2 years old?
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Remove Ads