Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm building a new site and if I was to use "frames" I could do it because I took the time to learn frames but now I understand that "frames" is a no no. I know tables, but now I hear tables are a no no.......lol

I would like to have a site where I have a header, footer, nav on the left and main content in the middle between the header and footer.

I would like my links in the nav section to change the pages in the middle like frames would do. what is the best way to do this now a days.

Also This is important can you point me to a example of of your suggestion, also any tutorials would be great because I know I will not know how to do it.

Thanks in advance
    If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it looks good, you'll see it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But, if it's real, you'll feel it.-

Member #
    Well frames can achieve what you wish, so can server side includes, however so can html in lots of different files.

Picture this, you have 10 .htm files, and these all include the same navigation system, hand coded into each one. And one day you have to add a link to "newpage.htm".

You will have to manually go through each file entering the new link.

If you used server side includes, you would just need to edit 1 file and the change would be site-wide.

However you will need some server side language support, ASP or PHP perhaps?

A script I wrote (Kontenter in sig) could help, you do need PHP however all you do is enter the data that will change from page to page into an array, and then add a small piece of code to each existing page and thats you.

So.. if you cannot use server side, and are against frames, the only other option is to hand code the page.

If the rest of the page is the same but the content changes, users may not notice the change.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    Well frames can achieve what you wish, so can server side includes, however so can html in lots of different files.

Picture this, you have 10 .htm files, and these all include the same navigation system, hand coded into each one. And one day you have to add a link to "newpage.htm".

You will have to manually go through each file entering the new link.

If you used server side includes, you would just need to edit 1 file and the change would be site-wide.

However you will need some server side language support, ASP or PHP perhaps?

A script I wrote (Kontenter in sig) could help, you do need PHP however all you do is enter the data that will change from page to page into an array, and then add a small piece of code to each existing page and thats you.

So.. if you cannot use server side, and are against frames, the only other option is to hand code the page.

If the rest of the page is the same but the content changes, users may not notice the change.
    I have everything I would need on my server, I just have no idea how to do it that way, I know "0" php. I guess my problem is I have no time to learn everything needed to keep up with todays coding so maybe I should just pay someone to help me.
    If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it looks good, you'll see it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But, if it's real, you'll feel it.-

Member #
    Well in that case. All you need to know for your goal is one function name.. and some php syntax.

To open a block of php code, you do the following:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    And to end a block of php code, you do the following:
    PHP Code:
    ?> 
    So now we have
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    ?>
    The function you want to use is called include() (http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.include.php)

Basically it includes the file you pass it's content into the file that calls it.

So lets say you have some header code that will appear in every page, save that code as header.inc

Now in index.php, have this code:
    PHP Code:
    <?php

include("header.inc");
    ?>
    Voila! Assuming they both reside in the same directory.

So you see, all you do is define your site design the way it should be, and then include the file with the data that is for every file.

Any questions?

Also, http://www.tizag.com/phpT/include.php may help.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    Well in that case. All you need to know for your goal is one function name.. and some php syntax.

To open a block of php code, you do the following:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    And to end a block of php code, you do the following:
    PHP Code:
    ?> 
    So now we have
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    ?>
    The function you want to use is called include() (http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.include.php)

Basically it includes the file you pass it's content into the file that calls it.

So lets say you have some header code that will appear in every page, save that code as header.inc

Now in index.php, have this code:
    PHP Code:
    <?php

include("header.inc");
    ?>
    Voila! Assuming they both reside in the same directory.

So you see, all you do is define your site design the way it should be, and then include the file with the data that is for every file.

Any questions?

Also, http://www.tizag.com/phpT/include.php may help.
    I appreciate the effort you put into that reply but trust me, as easy as that little example seems I know that as you get deeper it only gets frustrating for me. The worse part is I don't have the time to learn it all. If you would like to help me and we could work out a fee please message me..

Thanks again for your help

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    <frames> are considered a no-no, but <iframes> (inline frames)
    are very acceptable. You might want to search Google for
    "inline frame tutorial".

Tables are also acceptable if you have tabular data. That's what
    they are designed for, even if inter-mixed with CSS, is fine.

You'll see many uses of tables on sites that use databases. Where
    there are lists, calendars, even photo galleries with lots of rows
    and columns of thumbnails (tabular) ... thus, "tables".

Layouts of page areas, columns, images, etc. should be done with
    style sheets (CSS).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    <frames> are considered a no-no, but <iframes> (inline frames)
    are very acceptable. You might want to search Google for
    "inline frame tutorial".

Tables are also acceptable if you have tabular data. That's what
    they are designed for, even if inter-mixed with CSS, is fine.

You'll see many uses of tables on sites that use databases. Where
    there are lists, calendars, even photo galleries with lots of rows
    and columns of thumbnails (tabular) ... thus, "tables".

Layouts of page areas, columns, images, etc. should be done with
    style sheets (CSS).
    My problem is that I have not had the time to keep up with web design coding, I learnt html and then just couldn't keep up with the new coding so anything I design looks like it was done in 1995.......lol

I need to build a site to use as a place to sell my collection of back issues of Playboy Magazine that I can't sell on Ebay
    ( anything from 1980 to present ) those years have to be listed in the mature adult section which I don't want to do. I also want to have a forum on my site where other collectors can come and exchange ideas and comments.

So I desided to try and create a site but it just wasn't working.

bfsog was nice enough to offer to help me which I really appreciate but I guess if others would like to odffer suggestions it can't hurt. Originally I thought I wanted a frames type site which is still not out of the question.

I have my Ebay template that would be a nice design if I used the header and footer and added my new content to it. I would like my nav menu on the left side. I can let any of you who would like to see my Ebay template and you can let me know what you think about converting it to a website.

http://www.playboyguy.com/ebay/fs2.htm

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Are you selling the whole collection as one, or each mag separate?

If separate, you might want a good quality digital photo of each
    front cover. That way, as you display the thumbs on your site, you
    can indicate which ones are sold.

Find out if your webhost already has a shopping cart program available
    within their server that subscribers can use on their own site.

If you don't want to hassle with getting your own merchant account,
    you should use PayPal and just pay the fees without worrying about
    your own secure shopping cart.

You'll have to have some scripting involved that checks-off a magazine
    if someone successfully purchases it ... you don't want two people
    paying for the same magazine and not be able to deliver.

Member #
    I know how to sell them it's the design of the site I need help with

Member #
    I'm a bit confused sorry. Why do you need to use frames? The layout you shown didn't look as though it needed frames.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads