Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi I'm designing and developing a website for a limosine company. I landed the deal a few days ago. They told me that they want the website up by the end of the month. This is the second website that I have gotten paid to build. I am not sure how much to charge or how to go about charging or discussing how much I will charge with my client. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Well normally the advice given is to give them a ficed figure from the outset, do not charge by hour, for several reasons.

If you take into account their requirements, the price should match ehat they want, but if you are by the hour, they may demand you do extra work, and you may have other clients to think of.

What is involved in the build?

Images, CSS, XHTML and some server side implementation? Any SEO?

It depends what the client wants.

Member #
    There are many models to follow in terms of billing a client for webdesign.

Billing per hour makes the client feel alittle ripped off in terms of, they might be paying you to do research etc. for the site.

Give us alittle more info about what the client wants, and Im sure we can help you find a suitable price, or billing model to work from.

Member #
    You should already have your rates established before you "go into business" or rather, start taking on clients.
    Rates are also dependent upon what your area demands. Rates in New York are going to be much different than rates in Oklahoma.
    You may want to get the rates of some of your local competitors and then work from those.
    As for hourly v.s. flat. Since these are your first few projects, you may want to go a flat rate for a couple of reasons:
    1) What was said above about the client feeling ripped off v.s. hourly is true. Since you are just starting out you aren't going to be as efficient as you will once you have years of experience under your belt.
    2) A flat rate is a good thing for a customer who wants this site redesigned and up and running in two weeks. The customer knows what to expect as far as price. The downside is that you will either make some money or you could lose some money (depending upon how much time you put into it). I think it is a risk worth taking. Because at the end, maybe you didn't make as much per hour..........but you will have a happy client (and happy client's like to refer customers).
    Unfortunately, you probably won't get a specific rate.........you need to provide more variables for anyone on here to say a specific number to charge.
    Good luck......
    GMan

Member #
    Thanks for all the feedback. My client wants a relatively simple website to attract clients to buy custom fabricated limousines. It shouldnt need server side scripting. He tells me that he may need me to update it from time to time to show people how the progress on their limousines is coming along. I used HTML, and CSS on the site. There is also some flash that I cannot accredit to myself. They want me to clean up all the photos that they give me as well.

here is a link to the site

Member #
    I don't know what you should charge but i think that you should maybe think about your design some more, its too dark. When i think about custom cars words that come to mind are cool, innotive(sp), expensive.

In my opinion the website should look fresh, new, somewhere where you want to spend a load of cash at.

Even if there is no online buying system, i at least want to be enticed to phone them up or drop by. At the moment i am not feeling that.

Its just the way i feel about the site any way. Sorry if thats negative.

Member #
    I think you've got a long way to go before you start worrying too much about what you should be charging, by all means charge them something, but keep it cheap whilst your learning your craft. A couple of thing to say about the site itself. This company doesn't seem to have any kind of identity, does their brochure work - stationary - advertising look anything like your site or did you go completely in your own direction without referencing any of that material. There is clearly a graphic in the banner but I cant really make it out very well, (I have excellent colour vision and I use a colour corrected monitor.) Flash only pages are a complete no no. If your going to use flash at all then make sure each pres' has a skip button. Remember, lots of people are still on slow connections, many dont have flash plugins and they dont want have to download something else before they can view your pages, an awfull lot of peolple wont allow activeX to run in their browsers for security reasons and flash is activeX technology. If you dont do something about this then your client is going to lose a lot of potential customers.
    End of Line.

Member #
    I think pricing strategy is a big thing to analyze for any type of services. You should consider all major financial aspects. Pricing overall depends upon what type of services you are providing and the market segment. I strongly suggest that it should be competitive and reasonable enough. As you are new entrant, you need to create market position first. So you should provide reliable and quality service with strongly attractive prices to get customer belief and grow your business. I think you should also do price benchmarking.
    eTechDesigns.net
    AIM : etecdesigns || Yahoo : etecdesigns || MSN : sales@eTechDesigns.net
    Total Quality Web Designs and Web Development

Member #
    I think that part of web design is respect, when you start off it is going to be pretty hard, would you invest in an unproven designer? I wouldn't. Yet when you knock out some awesome sites people start to turn there heads and become interested.

Until you have your first 3-5 sites done i would keep the prices low.

Member #
    Thanks for all the advice, I will try to keep the price low. However my question is, what would you consider low? 200$ 1000$ 500$ ??? Less? Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads