Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Okay I'm all set with web space on Dream Host, thanks JB for the help! But I'm wondering if I start doing some freelance web design/hosting, do I need to register a business name?

Also, would this be concidered "FreeLance" work or is it a "Business"?

I'm not sure what to call it :lick:

Thanks for any input!

Member #
    You are subject to your local and state (if in the U.S.) business laws. If you are going to do business, I am sure your state will want their share of your taxes........so yes, you would need to register your business.
    Most licenses aren't that expensive. Being a freelancer is being a business, by the way.
    Good luck.........
    GMan

Member #
    Im not too clued up on business rules etc in the US, but I'm sure you could start doing "freelance" work without registering a business.

So my advice is to start freelancing under a (company) name that you choose. Start an online portfolio, or website selling what you do. There will come a time once you have a couple of clients that you will see the benefits of actually registering the company. It might not cost much, but rather use money received from your first few clients to register the business. That way you wont have any overheads to begin with, and no pressure if your venture fails.

Test the waters first, before you jump in. :classic:

Member #
    In Australia you can register your business for free, which is good because you need a registered business name to get a local domain name (ie. a .com.au domain)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Freelancing for services (not tangible products) may not require a business name,
    at least in the beginning. In your state, there might be an income cut-off to where
    you would be required to pay taxes. If you sell tangible products that require you
    to charge state sales tax ... that's a whole different deal.

You should look into an LLC (limited liability company). That would be the best
    way to go for a freelancer. Look it up for your state and read the rules and
    requirements. It's real easy to understand and not expensive.

Member #
    thanks for the replys, I think I'm gonna ask town hall here in FL. I'll post what they say just incase anybody wants to know.

Thanks!

Remove Ads