Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Yesterday I changed a date on my home page, and ftp'd it to the server. When I opened the updated page in Firefox, all I got was gibberish - Chinese or Japanese characters, and a few others. The URL is www.protonfabrication.com, and here's the strange part - it displays correctly when I'm directed there by a link on another page, like the portfolio page (www.protonfabrication.com/portfolio-page-1.htm). The link takes me to www.protonfabrication.com/index.htm not www.protonfabrication.com even though they're the same page. When I type www.protonfabrication.com into the search window, I get gibberish, but add "index.htm" and it works. The homepage displays as it should in Mozilla, and doesn't in Opera. Obviously, I'm new to this, and any help would be appreciated. Things worked fine until I changed the date on the homepage yesterday, and I have no idea what I could have done. Any ideas?

thanks,
    Andrew

Member #
    When you attempt to access a root domain (such as domain.com), the browser looks for index.htm,index.html, home.htm, home.htm (default and main also)..

So going www.protonfabrication.com/index.htm should be the same as going www.protonfabrication.com

In regards to your problem, I viewed both www.protonfabrication.com/index.htm and www.protonfabrication.com which in turn yielded the same result..

Maybe try a hard refresh?

Member #
    "So going www.protonfabrication.com/index.htm should be the same as going www.protonfabrication.com"

I know, which is why this is so baffling - one works for me, the other doesn't, and all I did was change the copyright date at the bottom of the page. I tried refreshing the page, with no luck. I also do't understand why I'm having this problem in Firefox and Opera, and not in Mozilla or IE (I just checked that). Any other ideas?

Andrew

Member #
    Could you upload a image of the jibberish version?

Member #
    this is what shows up:

????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

Andrew

Member #
    Look out for:
    * Content-type and encoding
    In the:
    * HTTP Headers (try LiveHeaders extention for Fox)
    * HTML <head>

Seems to me this might be an encoding issue, make sure you're using something like UTF-8 and declaring it!
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    When you attempt to access a root domain (such as domain.com), the browser looks for index.htm,index.html, home.htm, home.htm (default and main also)..

So going www.protonfabrication.com/index.htm should be the same as going www.protonfabrication.com
    The browser does not look for index.html or other index files. The server returns the index.html file if it is configured to do so. It can just as easily be configured to return /foo/bar.html if so desired, for example using an .htaccess rewrite rule.

If the browser looked for all those files, that would require significant lag while multiple GET (or at least HEAD) requests are sent for various nonexistant web pages until finally the correct (say, main.htm or index.php) index file was found.

Member #
    Look out for:
    * Content-type and encoding
    In the:
    * HTTP Headers (try LiveHeaders extention for Fox)
    * HTML <head>

Seems to me this might be an encoding issue, make sure you're using something like UTF-8 and declaring it!
    straight_up, sorry, but I don't have any idea what that means! Here are the first few lines of code from the homepage:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Proton Fabrication index</title>

I realize html 4.0 is dated - but it worked fine until yesterday. I'm no web designer, so I'm in a little over my head here. The design was a result of reading HTML for Dummies (I'll admit it!), and a couple questions I asked here back in October.

I see UTF-8 is an option in the character encoding drop-down menu, but I don't know what it means to use that in the code and declare it. Can you help me out with that? And why would this problem show up now? The page worked fine until yesterday, when I changed the one digit from a 5 to a 6. The one other thing I did was upgrade my FTP program from smartFTP v.1.5 to v. 2.0, but I don't think that matters. Does it?

Andrew

Member #
    adrummond,

I'm almost as puzzled as you are as to exactly why this would show up now.

1. I see no problem, myself, which doesn't help.
    2. Try UTF-8.
    3. I'm not sure about FTP, but it's possible, I suppose, that your FTP client could have been the culprit. But I kind of doubt it.

A header is information sent from your server (website) to the browser. It is not displayed, and describes the document being sent, for example declaring it to be HTML encoded with UTF-8, and setting it to expire from cache in two days.

Encoding is the way the 1's and 0's describe the letters, numbers, etc. in your web page. UTF-8 is considered the best character set to use, as it includes many different characters. Another common encoding scheme is ASCII, which actually shares a lot of the same characters with UTF-8.

Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but I believe UTF-8 is also known as 8-bit Unicode.

Anyway, hopefully you can see that if your browser thinks your page is encoded one way, and it's really not, it may end up misinterpreting those 1s and 0s to display something completely incorrect.

Ways to declare the encoding are the headers, as mentioned, and in the HTML. If I were you, I'd just worry about in the HTML itself: Add one of these lines to the <head> and see what happens. (If that doesn't fix it, swap in the other.)

HTML Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Member #
    HTML Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    That fixed it - thanks a lot. It isn't something I would have ever figured out on my own!

Andrew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads