Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Basically i have a stutter and while i am not bad on a one to one basis i vary wildly when it comes to telephones and internet talking. For instance some days i am fine, others i struggle to even say my name.. its kinda annoying actually.

What kind of impact would this have on becoming a freelance webdesigner? Could i get by on e-mail and instant messaging?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Well I'd just start talking via e-mail and IM, and if they request live chat, just kindly mention that you stutter a bit and to please be patient with you. Shouldn't be a problem with most people.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Hello Perad,
    IMO Stuttering does not affect intelligence. Singing or speaking alone or reading from a script will improves fluency. It will not affect freelance webdesigner. Yes, you should get communication with your clients on email or online chat IMs. Well..Wish you good luck for your career. :classic:
    eTechDesigns.net
    AIM : etecdesigns || Yahoo : etecdesigns || MSN : sales@eTechDesigns.net
    Total Quality Web Designs and Web Development

Member #
    I can't for the life of me pronounce the letter "r". I absolutely hate it. Thank God my name is Michael and not Richard or something...

Anyway, I don't think you should have any problem with clients. I think Wired presents some good advice.

Member #
    you will be judged on the quality of work you produce..
    not anything else..it shouldn’t interfere at all..

Dont shy away from talking with a client
    theres nothing better than a good old fashion phone conversation...verses just emailing or Im

wired gives good advice also..I really dont think a client would care to be honest..

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I suffer from the same problem, so I understand what you are going though. People who stutter feel nervous talking to people because we feel that our intelligence will be judged negativily and it's simply embarassing. Thankfully Web Design does not require nearly as much vocal interaction as most other professions. But you do need to speek to people from time to time. The key is to relax, gather your thoughts and dont prejudge yourself. Worring about the problem will not help, it is going to happen, so just let it happen. Your work will speak for itself.

Depending on how severly you stutter you might consider seeking help from a speach theripest. One avenue I have considered is ear plugs that produce white noise while you speak because of the theory that suttering is triggered by your inner ear picking up sounds while you are vocalizing.

Member #
    i saw something on the discovery channel about that..a while back.

the doctor that invented that earpiece gave it to this guy that had the worst stuttering problem the doctor had ever seen..

the earpiece made the guy stop stuttering completely.. it was amazing..

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    how much does it cost?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I cant seem to find the one i saw a while back with the white noise.. but I did find these if anybody is interested..

http://www.casafuturatech.com/

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by igeek
    i saw something on the discovery channel about that..a while back.

the doctor that invented that earpiece gave it to this guy that had the worst stuttering problem the doctor had ever seen..

the earpiece made the guy stop stuttering completely.. it was amazing..
    Gadgets on Modern Marvels (History Channel) is what you might be thinking about.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads