Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I created a template for my website and offered it as a free download for other users. To create this template I used a header found in a different template. This header was created using pictures taken from a video game and the designer added a few layers of his own graphics. From what he says, the images he used are free to use and modify. Knowing that these graphics are created from someone else's work does it give him the right to claim this header as his own? He ordered me to delete my template and as I am not sure about my rights I did but I would like to know the opinion of professionals to see if I did something wrong.
    Thank you.

Member #
    I heard that if you make 5 noticeable changes then it is classed as a new image. I am not sure if this is correct though.

If i was in your situation i would have removed it from the web but i wouldn't have deleted it.

Member #
    Despite whether he used stock images of some sort, he still modified them to his own tastes, thus making the final product his work. Therefore, using it without permission would have been a copyright violation.

I agree with what Perad would have done though, taken it down but not deleted it. Maybe something could have been worked out with the original designer.

Member #
    I would have to see his modifications, but he probably does have the right
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    I guess he was right then. The template is deleted from my server but I still have it on my computer untill I change the header. You can view the attachement to see the header. Thank you for your answers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remove Ads