Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    In this artcle I will be trying to share with you some of the things which you should avoid while developing a website. This article will help you make your site viewer friendly and as well as search engine friendly. Read them carefully:
    1. Avoid the use of flash for navigation or content, or anything you want search engines to spider.The search engines are not capable of decompiling your text
    2. Avoid the use red & cyan, yellow & blue, green & magenta, etc color combinations... they are painful on the eyes.If you use these nobody will read your text and may be leave your site from the first page.
    3. Avoid making a forum site. Instead join one of the 1,000,000,000 other ones that already do. what you wanna do.It will be very hard for you to optimize it.Unless you have got a brilliant idea regarding a forum go for it.
    4. Avoid making a blog. You're the only one who will read it.And may be 2-3 more.The prime use of blogs is link dumping.
    5. Avoid making a site without a goal in mind.Move in one direction you will be able to travel more. Dumping a site without goal will just increase the garbage on the web.
    6. Avoid putting popups all over or use a free host that puts popups all over.
    7. Avoid putting a 1024 x 768 banner at the top of every page of your site.
    8. Avoid adding a music track to your site.Your life is not a movie, so neither should your website be.
    9. Avoid puting a counter on your homepage. I'm already at your site... you dont have to market it to me anymore.You are showing me that you are amateur and still stuck on counters.And who wants to know about the number of visitors on your site.
    10. Avoid putting any useless characters.eg.(your site is in english and you are putting chinese characters)
    11. Avoid making your primary navigation iconographic. If you have images that's fine, but have names for your links. Its added funcnality only. Reduces hassle for the visitor.
    12. Avoid opening your site in a new window!.Really anoying.
    13. Avoid put a bulky contact form.Use a simple one and with lesser fields.
    14. Avoid use of stock photography unless you can't physically take the photos yourself.Add photos which say it all.
    15. Avoid use of inverted text (white text on black bg)
    16. Avoid use design elements that avoid fit the core concept of your site. Chose a design that says before the text stars to speak.
    17. Avoid puting 1000 links on a page.Dont make link farms. Instead, divide the links up into logical sections.
    18. Avoid use of frames or iframes. Unless you really need them.
    19. Avoid having unnecessary page refreshes (for instance, in a multi-selection process... use modal dialogs or iframes to avoid refreshing sub-lists each time a user makes a selection (e.g. year, make, model of a car).
    20. Avoid making your site dependant on any particular technology (i.e. javascript or cookies). It should display fine without them.
    21. Avoid thinking this list includes everything you shouldn't do.Find more...

Thanks and Regards,
    Rahul Goyal
    Sycamore.in
    Sycamore.in
    Fair Deal India
    Online Ludhiana - Bringing Punjabi's together
    Yahoo India Forum - A Complete Portal

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Why are you posting copyrighted material as if it's your own?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I see alot of "dont's", where are the "do's"? lol... This seems to read more like a list of geviences that you have encountered and would like to see corrected.

Although I agree with most of your points, I question the reasioning for a few of them. Such as, why do you advocate not using stock photography? There are many vast libaries of images that fall under the classification of stock photography that are very useful. Not all web designers are able to take all their own photographs or have the resources to have somebody else do it for them. For instance, although I have taken photography classes and own a very good quality digital camera, stock photography is still my main source for images, and my clients have been very happy with my projects.

Member #
    I think a lot of those points are up for debate anyway. As glyakk said, stock photography isn't a problem. Also, inverted color schemes can work well. More than three people will probably read your blog as long as you have good content. If you want to make a site for 1024 * 768, that may not be such a problem these days (WDF, for example). Make a site with no goal if you feel like it. You gotta practice somehow, and I think you get more out of it if it's a live site. It makes you want to improve.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    This is copywrited. unicorn-multimedia.com

you got a sharp eye wired..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by glyakk
    This is copywrited. unicorn-multimedia.com

you got a sharp eye wired..
    Zoinks!

Member #
    that article was again posted by me on ezine articles.
    so again copyrighted to me. lol
    i got nearly a dozen articles on ezine. some articles i post in parallel here, might bring in more awareness among people
    Sycamore.in
    Fair Deal India

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I am not trying to accuse you of lying, but If you are claiming the posts in question belong to you, and your name is Rahul Goyal. Who is Bikramjit Singh? That is the name of the person who wrote those articles on ezinearticles.com.

Member #
    well, if you wanted to dig up the whole thing and want to know who exactly is who then here i`ll tell you the whole clarification.
    we are a group of freelancers, who happens to form a company named sycamore.in ( Design studio). the three persons involved are Rahul Goyal, Amanpreet Singh, Bikramjit Singh along with 2 other temporary persons Jitin Khanna and Salil Kalia. hope that makes thing clearer to you. furthermore, if you have checked the links to which these two names follow, they are same sycamore.in. everything will be clearer now among you guys.
    thanks and regards
    Rahul goyal
    Quote Originally Posted by glyakk
    I am not trying to accuse you of lying, but If you are claiming the posts in question belong to you, and your name is Rahul Goyal. Who is Bikramjit Singh? That is the name of the person who wrote those articles on ezinearticles.com.
    Sycamore.in
    Fair Deal India

Member #
    chill guys bikramjit is the younger brother of amanpreet

and dont make that an issue enjoy his articles
    there are many other on ezine articles and many other publishing sites

thanx
    Sycamore.in
    Fair Deal India