Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi...

Im creating a site for a friend and have started it in dreamweaver 4.

I have created a central table to hold the content and thinking about using layers to hold the menu bar and the actual content? Is this the best way of doing it?

Also, when I create the layers and do an F12 and view them in the browser the are not where I placed them? I have to manually move them around but then they don't look correct within DW!

Also, is it just easier (and better?) to use PHP with a MySQL db? I don't know PHP at all so that could be a problem... :ermm:

Any ideas folks??!?!?!?

Cheers!

Jamboh

Member #
    Your problem is dreamweaver 4. Its ancient, dreamweaver is made to make websites in accordance with standards in browsers. Times have moved on a lot since Dreamweaver 4

Member #
    I know its old-school but its free!

I don't really wanna pay for DW8 just to do one website... is dw4 really that bad?

Member #
    DW4 is not THAT bad, but since the technologies move as fast as a hurricane, maybe you will not have the up-to-date tool to create the layers you are trying to create. I never liked to create layers at all and I believe that creating it with DW is even a worse nightmare... just my two cents...

Member #
    The problem with WYSIWYGs is that it's not true! This is where html comes in handy. Try positioning your layer by coordinates. If it looks bad in DW but fine in a browser, keep it.

You don't need PHP or mySQL for design.

DW4 is what, four years old?
    Here's a question to ponder: Would you buy a four-year old cell phone? I'm sure it would still work!
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    DCScene is right... even if things look weird in DW, they still can look fine when you look at a page directly from your browser. There are differences between what DW shows you and the reality...
    The best way to create layers (imo) is by using a css with coordinates. It is tricky and you need to be patient while trying to find the correct coordinates, but in the end, I think it is the best solution.

Member #
    I find Dreamweaver is good for roughly placing layers, but one then has to drop into the code and nail down the coordinates more exactly. This is where DW is a nice tool, the ability to switch between design views and code views. You definitely don't want to layout DIVs/layers purely in DW's design view, but for getting a sense of where you want things to go, being able to draw them onto the palette is nice.

Just make sure you're comfortable going into the code for the proper fine-tuning.

Remove Ads