Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I need some troubleshooting advice and am hoping someone can help.
    I have put together a website for a friend using Dreamweaver. I have only ever used frontpage and passport before so Dreamweaver was a steep learning curve for me. Without training I have been relying on the trial and error method which has served me well..... untill now. I have never published a site before.

I have successfully created the site 'Hooray' and have been 'putting' the files into the wwwroot folder on my hosting server. There is a viewer on the server which allows you to check the pages. The homepage which I have saved as index.htm comes up blank and the subsequent pages are being displayed without images. If I type my URL into a browser a message appears informing me that I am not authorised to view the site..... even a site without images would be better than this message!

I created the pages as .dwt templates and then changed them to .htm, the images are .pngs and I was wondering whether this could be part of the problem. Someone in a bar told me I needed to transfer the homepage as .dwt but this sounds wrong. Could it be something related to using CSS? I am not sure what to check next, any suggestions or troubleshooting tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Member #
    I don't know much about Dreamweaver filetypes but when I was using it in Multimedia class at College it didn't have its own filetype for files, it just loaded and saved HTML files.

If the .dwt files are not proper HTML, that would definitely cause problems (they should be text files with HTML tags inside; if you try opening it in Notepad, SimpleText, TextEdit, or whatever text application you have for the OS your using, you should see tags like <html> <head> and <body>, if these tags are there you can be fairly sure that its HTML)... Although the way the problem occurs makes me think that there might be a server issue, for it to tell you you can't access the file at all... Maybe try asking your host whats going on?

Hope this helps, good luck!

Member #
    I think youre right, I think Im gonna speak to the guy who owns the server.........either that or see if I can publish it to someone elses. Can I just double check with you that in order to define which page is the homepage you only need to save the file as index.htm?? This sounds a little too simple for me.... can you tell me if there is anything extra I need to do at the server end or should the server just recognise that this is the homepage and publish it accordingly??

Thanks for your help

Member #
    On the server you would have gotten your own directory to put your files in. The server can be set so that when the directory (rather than the file) is requested by a browser the server refers it to a file (for example if the directory was called 'girlinspain' its likely the address to reach it would be something like www.servername.com/~girlinspain). The file it points to is usually index.htm, but this depends on how the server is set up (if the server administrator told you to name your file in this way then its probably correct).

Although it just occurred to me that the extension for your files maybe wrong, since its common for them to be hidden, so although you've named them whatever.html they may have an additional hidden extension after the html extension. This extra extension would prevent the server from pointing to the file since its name is different.

You might want to check that on your computer the option to hide extensions is off- How to do this varies depending on your operating system, so it would probably be easier for you to search through your operating systems help files then for me to explain how to do it on every OS. (To access help on Windows switch to the desktop and press F1, on Mac OS type Command + ? ).

Member #
    Hola chicaenespana (te gusta!?)

It sounds to me like a solid Dreamweaver tutorial would STRONGLY benefit you. I can explain most of your current issues, but chances are you will run into others.

Before I directly address your questions, I wonder if your files are organized in one place. As in, one folder with nothing but your site files in it. If that is the case, good, proceed; if this is not the case... well, make it the case because that will solve a lot of your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by girlinspain

I have successfully created the site 'Hooray' and have been 'putting' the files into the wwwroot folder on my hosting server.
    Check with your host if this is the correct directory.

I created the pages as .dwt templates and then changed them to .htm
    Two things here... how did you "change" the files? When using a .dwt, which I would not suggest anyways, you have to "Save as..." If you simply go to the file and change the extension, it will not work. Next, better to use html than htm. DW>Preferences.

the images are .pngs and I was wondering whether this could be part of the problem.
    .png's are not completely compatible with IE, but should work fine in other browsers... Though, they should still show up in IE... Try checking the paths of your links. Do you have an images folder? Are your images linked relatively? If they are not, then when you upload them, they will not appear. I am assuming your images were uploaded in addtion to the html files.

Someone in a bar told me I needed to transfer the homepage as .dwt but this sounds wrong.
    WRONG? That doesn't even make sense!

Could it be something related to using CSS?
    No.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads