Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    i'm currently studying home web design course which covers html css(only a 2 page chapter tho!!) java script + asp. now i was speaking to my friend who got employed a year ago and he was head hunted by a company who asked him to apply 4 a job they had. anyway he got the job and he said he new html and css pretty well then and only a wee bit of java script.

now i'm currentlly studying the css part(taken it upon myself to try learn as much css as possible cause i believe it is essential... yes... no??? anyway). will be moving onto java script in the next few weeks.

how much knowledge of other languages should i have of sofware (adobe, etc) before applying for job. is it better to create a decent portfolio???

any tips??

cheers

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Wouldn't say it's essential, but it's darn close, and will save you tons of time when coding.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    It really depends on the jobs you are looking for. At the very least, you should be able to build a basic site. My book of essentials include: graphics production, html, css, javascript.

Truth is you can get away with not knowing javascript, but it's better if you do.

Regarding server-side scripting and other fancier things... these are more important to development and programming jobs, so you can technically learn them later. There are tons of codes, millions even, available for free use until you obtain the knowledge to write your own.

In regards to part two... Graphics production is part of my essential list. Adobe just so happens to be the standard, but you don't HAVE to use it. That's up to you.

Basically, before you apply for a job, you have to be able to prove that you can do the job, or at least can be taught quickly based on your existing knowledge, that you can do the job. In anything web-related, a portfolio is almost always required. You can also see about doing internships, since they are a great way to get hands-on experience with a "boss" who can show you all sorts of real-world tricks.

Oh, yea, and come here often!
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    html, css and image production are essential

javascript is a very useful thing to have

some knowledge of server side programming can also be handy, its also good to know how to integrate server side programming to your website.

Also you will need a portfolio, a homepage and 2 sample sites. This will give the prospective employer an idea on what you can do.

At the end of the day you want to stand out... now my 14 year old borther knows html.. so basically the more you know the more you stand out. You also will need a few excellent designs to back up your knowledge.

Member #
    cheers people,

will get my @rse ito gear and learn this java script soon. hopefully i can do a couple of good designs and a decent portfolio to prove my worth.

getting fed up doing admin jobs so really eager to get a 'decent' job.

don't suppose anyone knows whit a scriptwriter (web design) is? applied 4 a job on s1jobs.com the other week titled as a scriptwriter thinking i would be doing some coding at a very base level(reflected by the pay), but it said that i would be using some program to create web pages???? anyone shed any light on that, my worst fear is that it will a data entry type job using these crap auto design program which would be worse than my admin job at the moment. sorry bit of a random question.

anyway cheers again for the tips and advice

Member #
    I am not sure I know exactly what a scriptwriter is in this case. My first idea would be someone who writes scripts for say, a TV show, or commercial. In a web since, it sounds like some sort of code, since code is also referred to as script. But, from you've said so far, I'm not so sure you'd be qualified for anything above entry-level. Then again, isn't that what this post is about?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    yes, sorry went off on a tangent. this scriptwriter job say entry level on it tho.

anyway applied for it and plan to try do a few small sites for some businesses i know for my portfolio

cheers

Remove Ads