Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have recently volunteered to be the webmaster of a site that my non-profit group took over. The orignal creator died and the whitewater rafting community would like to see his site continue. The problem is I are a fireman not a computer genius! I have been searching the web today looking for sites that I might be able to find help. You guys sound like you know something so maybe you can help! First I would like to ask where I should start my education? What books should I get to study? Our site is up and running and my job is to keep it updated. We hired a pro to design it but he is too busy to maintain it even though we wanted to pay him!
    I just bought a new laptop and plan on using Dreamweaver. What other programs do I need? I have MS Pro, I added Corel paintshop ProX and a few other programs. I can use all the help I can get, thanks.
    Check out www.idahowhitewater.org to see the site.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Wow... that's alot to start with

Let's start off with a "Welcome"

You can start your education with html tutorials and css tutorials. You should also keep the W3.org site handy. It might be gibberish now but they're the peeps behind all this stuff.

Dreamweaver is a good as any place to start. Just be carefull with the code "it" puts in if you're not using the "code" view. As for graphical software, I would go with either Photoshop or Fireworks. Again, search on google for tutorials with these software... theres LOADS of them.

And most important of all, search this forum and post in it! That's what this forum is for. You need help, people are here for that.

HTH
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Hello & welcome.

You have an advantage in that the site is already built. After a quick look at the code, it looks like all the layout elements are already established (albeit entirely in tables) with a clearly marked "Editable" area.
    Code:
     <!--this is the format of a note in HTML. It's <!-- to start and --> to end. It is visible in the source code, but in no way appears on the page-->
    If you look at the HTML, you will see this used to label different areas. Also, it looks as if most of the site that is already up has content that will not changes. If you wanted to say, add some sponsors, you could open up the links pages and change the information insides of it. Adding another date to the newsletter archives is a matter of cutting & pasting.

I think a little bit of HTML may be all you need to keep the site updated. If you want to do a redesign or something, that is a different story. My advise is to really familiarize yourself with html before diving into Dreamweaver. DW sometimes creates extra codes, and things do not actually look the same as they do on the screen. As far as graphic production is concerned, these programs are very expensive and have a huge learning curve, so you really want to make sure that's something you want before you invest.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Thanks, I spent some time reading. I have a long way to go!

HM

Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    Wow... that's alot to start with

Let's start off with a "Welcome"

You can start your education with html tutorials and css tutorials. You should also keep the W3.org site handy. It might be gibberish now but they're the peeps behind all this stuff.

Dreamweaver is a good as any place to start. Just be carefull with the code "it" puts in if you're not using the "code" view. As for graphical software, I would go with either Photoshop or Fireworks. Again, search on google for tutorials with these software... theres LOADS of them.

And most important of all, search this forum and post in it! That's what this forum is for. You need help, people are here for that.

HTH

Member #
    So I can make text changes without DW? (I started reading the HTML tutorials.) That would be helpfull since we need to post updates regularly. I do want to make a page for each of our annual events but I may be able to get our designer to do that.
    Thanks,
    HM

Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Hello & welcome.

You have an advantage in that the site is already built. After a quick look at the code, it looks like all the layout elements are already established (albeit entirely in tables) with a clearly marked "Editable" area.
    Code:
     <!--this is the format of a note in HTML. It's <!-- to start and --> to end. It is visible in the source code, but in no way appears on the page-->
    If you look at the HTML, you will see this used to label different areas. Also, it looks as if most of the site that is already up has content that will not changes. If you wanted to say, add some sponsors, you could open up the links pages and change the information insides of it. Adding another date to the newsletter archives is a matter of cutting & pasting.

I think a little bit of HTML may be all you need to keep the site updated. If you want to do a redesign or something, that is a different story. My advise is to really familiarize yourself with html before diving into Dreamweaver. DW sometimes creates extra codes, and things do not actually look the same as they do on the screen. As far as graphic production is concerned, these programs are very expensive and have a huge learning curve, so you really want to make sure that's something you want before you invest.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adventure1
    So I can make text changes without DW? (I started reading the HTML tutorials.) That would be helpfull since we need to post updates regularly.
    I think what he meant was is that you should "know" a bit of html before using DW to code it. Since DW tends to add unwanted code when you are NOT using the "code" view.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    you might want to take a look at macromedia contribute..
    It creates a template based interface that allows just about anyone with minimual computer skills to update a web site..I know several people that maintain there site with it and they have little knowledge of html..

by all means learn as much as you can it will only benifit you.

dreamweaver isnt so bad either.. i use it all the time..it has some great features that make site maintenace a snap..

Member #
    Well I made it through the htmlgoodies tutorial and learned the basics.
    Now i'm starting the css tutorial.
    Any recomendations for FTP software?
    Thanks for the help so far.
    HM

Member #
    smartftp is a good ftp program

with Dreamweaver you can ftp to a server you have to create a site definition to use this feature

I just noticed this but the thrid post down the text runs right off the page..

Member #
    If you decide to go with Dreamweaver, there is an FTP built into it. Same for GoLive.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads