Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Hi, hope everyone's doing great. I'd like to know if anyone has advice on working with another freelancer during a big project.
    My buddy is a Flash designer and I'm an HTML web designer, and he was contracted by a company to create a Flash homepage and intro animation for the site. But he doesn't know alot about backend design, especially if it involves Flash. This is where I come in. On the homepage and several other pages, the client wants to have Flash text, but also wants to update the text without having to hire someone to do it or learn Flash (because they don't have the time). So I fiddled around with the concept, checked with my friends and various tutorials and finally came up with a small text-management-system that allows anyone to use Notepad or Microsoft Word to update the text inside a Flash movie.
    My contribution is big, but there's not a lot of work to do..I don't have 20 or 50 pages of text to work with..only 5 pages that have a small paragraph of text. So I told my buddy that it took me one hour to do a paragraph, and that 5 paragraphs in all would take about 5 work hours to complete. Then I mentioned my price.

I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to get paid for the work, though.
    How does this work? Do I write up a seperate contract with the client (that mentions "Developer "________" will work only on the text-management-system) and they'll pay me directly

or

Should my partner who is the chief contractor, recieve the money from the client and then in turn pay me? In that case I should write a contract for my partner?

The big meeting will be tomorrow and since I created a demo of the TMS, I will be present at the meeting.

Thanks

Member #
    If i were you i would ask your friend what he is most comfortable with. If it was HIS client first then he should have the option to pay you as a sub-contractor.
    Cheers,

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by samcboulder
    If i were you i would ask your friend what he is most comfortable with. If it was HIS client first then he should have the option to pay you as a sub-contractor.
    Cheers,
    That is how subcontracting usually works. When you bid on a job you would normally include any fees that you might inccure for subcontractors.. For instance.. I suck at writing copy, so I use copywriters from time to time. I include their fees in my bid.. I pay my copywriters myself as to make the process seem seamless to the client. However that is not how it always has to be.

You could form a contract with the client yourself for your portion of the project, but expect the client to want to deduct at least a portion of the previously agreed upon amount from your friend since he will not be doing the full job as orgionally agreed upon. Personally I would advise against this, it might benifit you more in the short run, but it might bite you hard later when your friend has another project or two but will not let you in on it. Something to consider..

Remove Ads