Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi! I am doing a research paper for a college English class. My topic is about Web Design, as I will be majoring in it next fall. If any of you can answer any or even a few of these questions, I will greatly appreciate it!

1. Why did you decide to do Web Design?

2. Do you prefer coding or designing graphics?

3. Which program do you use to code websites?

4. Do you hand code your web pages, or do you run it through a design feature?

5. Is hand coding necessary to thrive in the Web Design field?

6. Which program do you use to design graphics?

7. How often do you see women in the Web Design field?

8. How much time do you spend working on average on any particular web design.

9. How competitive would you say the Web Design field is?

10. Would you say that the Web Design community is welcoming?

Thank you to anyone that answers! This will help me out!

Member #
    1. As a hobby for enjoyment

2. Coding

3. Scintilla Scite / Notepad

4. Handcode only - self taught

5. I believe it is, in order to have the lightest-fastest webpage, and to have a firm handle on errors and rendering. Some WYSIWYG editors are code heavy IMHO.

6. Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator

7. Quite frequently on this forum. I am not a programmer by profession so I have no daily experience.

8. Too much LOL. It depends on the complexity of the project. I typically code 10 to 20 hours a week on assorted projects, not just one.

9. Very, here today gone tomorrow seems to be the norm. It is tough to acquire and retian clients, they typically have no clue on proper web-design (nor do they care), so it is hard to keep them satisfied.

10. Yes and getting better. There is a trend, open source, which promotes the sharing of: code, concepts and ideas. I have always found good sources for webdesigners on both the web and in books.

Member #
    1. A friend got me into it, since then, I have been hooked.

2. Coding any day

3. I handcode, so a text editor

4. Handcode

5. It is good as if you have to make a minor change it is good to know, also, it is good to know your own code.

6. Photoshop, but like I say I am more of a coder

7. How often do you see women in the Web Design field? In person, probably 1 in 6.. online, 1 in 3

8. How much time do you spend working on average on any particular web design? Too much, although I have moved away from the frontend

9. How competitive would you say the Web Design field is? I do not have any experien ce in competition, I applied for my first web dev job and got it, score!

10. Would you say that the Web Design community is welcoming? Absolutely, on the whole, I loveto help people with questions, but there is always a rotten apple. Or two

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    1. Took the class in college, loved it and has been lonving it ever since

2. Coding

3. DreamWeaver 8

4. Hand Code (yes... you can hand-code in DW )

5. I'd like to think so! DW and other WYSIWYG editors are know to cough up too many tags and stuff like that. If you hand-code it, then you know exactly what in there.

6. Photoshop CS

7. Yes... we are very few :cry: We're gettin' there :bandit:

8. Too much. I tend to change my mind on the designs half-way through coding :dead: I'll say 10-20 per week too I guess

9. Very

10. Of course!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    1. A great teacher

2. Let me be the first graphic person to answer the survey.

3. Adobe GoLive

4. Hand code, I just don't trust the "layout mode"

5. To thrive, yes, to survive no. This question I think is the most interesting as far as how it relates to the other questions. If you want respect and acceptance among the field (question 10) you have to be able to hand-code. Truth is, I started out using DW4 and layout mode, it generated a lot of crap. I learned the HTML to make things look better, and it's much easier to do things right the first time than to go back and fix them up later

6. Mostly ImageReady for typical graphics (the optimizing pallette is my friend) and initial layouts. There's a really cool feature in ImageReady that lets you set your rollovers and then output the equivalent of screenshots based on "rollovers." Photoshop for photo editing, Illustrator for complex vectors, Flash for simple vectors (for use in Flash obviously).

7. More and more and more, especially on the design end.

8. This really depends on what else is going on in my life, how many projects I am juggling, who the client is, where we are relative to deadline, and how big the site is. I am not a procrastinator, so I like to define the scope and set up a timeline so everything can get done in time for the client to hate it and/or change everything before the deadline.

9. Extremely competitive. Every one claims to be able to do it, but that doesn't mean they are good at it. Web design is accessible, in general, so people get into it thinking it's a quick way to make money. Sometimes they get frustrated that you actually have to learn stuff first. It's not made any easier since not everybody out there has an appreciation for what we do. I very recently walked away from a project where one person says, "but I can produce something like this, why should I pay you to do it?"

10. Yes. A lot of people do this stuff for fun. They want to share their accomplishments. But, I think people coming in should approach with humility. There's nothing like the person who has a "My first post" in How's my site, saying they've been designing for years and you look at it, and you know either they are lying or living in a hole. We like people who are honest and willing to take the time to learn. But I think that applies to most professions. Ask a teacher about teaching and they'll give you a million good reasons to be a teacher.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    1. Started off as hobby, went through a seriouse business phase and now back to hobby status.

2. mostly coding, due to my programming background.

3. Dreamweaver for its site mangement featuers, but mostly I'm either in "code view" or use EditPlus for small HTML pages.

4. hand code, but not hundered percent. I utilize Dreamweaver's table generator a lot.

5. I would have to say not really. Most of the time hand coding can be a waste of time if you have a tool which can generate just as good code as you can do by hand. Dreamweaver, for example, lets you format the generated code and formatting to exactly what you want. I would also disagree with above post that you need to be able to hand code in order to earn repect. My opinion is that you need to have a good grasp of web standards and development, and need to keep up with them in order to earn respect in web design field.

6. Adobe Photoshop, obviously.

7. Quite often, compared to IT in general, web design has more women designers.

8. Depends on the project. It can be a few weeks, or a few hours. Typically, a couple of weeks for a small 5-10 page site (where no backend programming it involved). that time includes meetings with the client to discuss the design before, during and after designing.

9. Very competitive.

10. Yes, as you can probably notice from many forums and other resources available for webdesigners.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Because I have a great passion for it and love learning new web technology and standards. Nothing like opening up Photoshop getting ready to create a new site

2. Do you prefer coding or designing graphics??
    Both, I love design, yet I love the using object oriented programming languages. It's really a 50/50 for me. However, I would say I'm more inclined on opening up Photoshop and design a site, than code it on any given day.

3. Which program do you use to code websites??
    PHP Designer 2005. Best lightweight text based web related editor I've used.

4. Do you hand code your web pages, or do you run it through a design feature??
    Hand code, it's the only way to go. Using something like frontpage and even dreamweaver adds to much 'messy' codt that you just don't need.

5. Is hand coding necessary to thrive in the Web Design field??
    Yep, well, I believe so.

6. Which program do you use to design graphics??
    Photoshop 6.0.

7. How often do you see women in the Web Design field??
    Haven't.

8. How much time do you spend working on average on any particular web design.?
    Really depends 10 - 60? Maybe...

9. How competitive would you say the Web Design field is??
    Very.

Can be, really depends on who you know. You see, I don't know anyone in web design close by, which is why I haven't been able to break into web design (commerically) yet. I have almost completed a re-developement of a well known australian website and I know this is going to help me on my way

Member #
    I like coding but apps programming is too dull. I like the design side of it
    I still like coding too. After much coding like designing. After lots of designing it's nice to get back to some coding again
    Homesite (Macromedia), HTML-Kit
    Hand code. Always
    Yes. If you can't hand code there's no way you can produce sites good enough for payment
    Photoshop CS
    Not enough. Actually, I've never met one, though I know a few online
    Depends on the site. Last one 3 weeks, have been working on another site for over 3 years - sites are never finished anyway.
    Depends at what level. Pitching for BMW, yes. For Jock's Hardware Store, no.
    Yes, definitely. Now push off and leave me alone !!!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by huntedrogue
    Hi! I am doing a research paper for a college English class. My topic is about Web Design, as I will be majoring in it next fall. If any of you can answer any or even a few of these questions, I will greatly appreciate it!

Thank you to anyone that answers! This will help me out!
    1. It's a creative outlet and interesting topic.
    2. Mostly coding, but it's useless without graphics usually.
    3. Dreamweaver MX 2004 for XHTML/CSS, Zend Studio for PHP, Photoshop CS2 for graphics
    4. Vast majority of the time, hand-code.
    5. It is necessary to generate well-designed, simple, clean pages. It is not necessary once you already know how to do it. Coding everything in Notepad is more stupid than writing pages in Word.
    6. Photoshop CS2, ImageReady CS2 for the rare animated GIF.
    7. Hell, I rarely see them in real life. But occasionally I see a female registered here.
    8. It varies incredibly. I spend 10 minutes today on an entirely new site. WDF here has been in development since July 2002 with the most recent design iteration taking a whole 11 months to complete.
    9. Fiercely. I would have considered doing web design, but the competition is far too great.
    10. Generally, unless your main goal is to make a profit.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    A friend introduced me to PHP in 2002. Since then, I never looked back.

Coding. My grphics design skills are nil.

I do most of my PHP coding using a text editor (vim), Whenever I am writing a large peice of text, I use a word processor and after psell checking I copy and paste it into Nvu (a free WYSIWYG editor)

I hand code them mostly.

In my opinion, yes - understanding the technology behind the page is important. But, having said that the use of a web design too is also a necessity in many situations where hand coding the html is either to combersome or coo complex.

If I ever find myself in a situation where I need to design grphics, I use PSP7. I try to avoid those situations though.

I know of at least four women in the web design field. Two of them I know personally. It would be nice to see more female web devleopers though.

That depends on a llot fo things. Most of the projects I am doing are on going. I spend more time on the paid projects than I do my own and voluntary projects.

I don't compete. Sharing ideas is more important.

This community is

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads