Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

vvp
    Member #
    I feel really dumb asking this question because I'm thinking it should be an easy fix, but I've been at it all afternoon and I'm out of ideas. ANY help is VERY appreciated.

Problem:

I'm using Dreamweaver MX 2004.

I have a small graphic (thumbnail) image that I want to link to a video clip (.wmv) so that when clicked it simply opens Windows MediaPlayer and plays. Currently, this is working fine when using IExplorer. The problem shows up when using Firefox.

When the linked thumbnail is clicked, Firefox opens up a page of unitelligable code (I think its the actual source code of the video file) and, opens mediaplayer with an additional message that states:
    "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be available."

Does someone have a solution for me please? This is killing me here...

Thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't think this is something you can fix on the page. That looks like a problem with the way Firefox is handling the file, which probably isn't fixable. Especially if Windows MP is coming up, too.

vvp
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    I don't think this is something you can fix on the page. That looks like a problem with the way Firefox is handling the file, which probably isn't fixable. Especially if Windows MP is coming up, too.
    Thanks for the reply.

What leads me to believe that it is a problem with something on the page, is that if I use Firefox on someone else's web site and click their thumbnail image .wmv it works fine.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So, the problem may still not be with Firefox, it might be with the way the server is sending the file. If you're getting gibberish in Firefox, it's probably being sent as application/octet-stream, which Firefox doesn't know how to handle, instead of something like application/wmv-movie or something. Have you tried embedding it in a page using <embed> or <object>?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I wonder if you don't have the plug-in loaded for Firefox on your PC, but your
    friend has the plug-in loaded in on his (so it works fine on his).

Remove Ads