Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,
    I have a small question: I am the owner of my web site, but this website has been developed by a web-desing company who also provide web-hosting.
    My question is, how can I rely on this company after the site design has been completed and I am getting orders?
    What is the owner of the web hosting company which hosts my site ( which is the same company which actuyally developed it ) just shuts down my business and tells me: OK, Matteo, if you do not give me US$10000 I will not open back your site
    Is it technicall possible or am I little bit paranoid?
    After the site is completed, how can I legally claim any right over my site?

Matteo

Member #
    If someone makes a site for you, you should automatically own the site and all copyrights once it's complete. If you went into an agreement where you don't own all copyrights, you got screwed. What are they going to do with the site anyway?

You should also have all of the files that the site uses stored in a safe location (on a CD or on your own hard drive). Then if they do close down, you just get hosting somewhere else and upload all the files.

It isn't ethical to say, "If you do not give me US$10000 I will not open back your site." I would never work with a company that said that. The fact is, it's your site! It's up to you whether it stays open or closes down. If they stop hosting, that's fine. You just find some other host. They should not say, "You can only use the site if you host with us."

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Make sure you've got a contract stating it's your intellectual property, and that you've got a copy of it.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Dear Wired,
    thanks for the important info.
    I would need some advice to know more about the legal aspects of web design; do you know about any book or internet site which I could read in order to know what I should about rights on intellectual property?
    How can I be sure that the site will at the end be 100% mine??

Best regards,

Matteo

Member #
    Eddy,
    thanks for the answer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Bones
    If someone makes a site for you, you should automatically own the site and all copyrights once it's complete. If you went into an agreement where you don't own all copyrights, you got screwed. What are they going to do with the site anyway?
    The goal of this site is to sell Japanese pottery in Italy.
    Since it will take a lot of time, effort and money to promote it, I would not like that, once ( if ) the site becomes successful, the company which developed it and is hosting it could claim anything to me.
    Can they just " switch off " the site and ask me money to get it back?
    I know these may sound like childish questions to you!!
    And, what do you men with " If you went into an agreement where you don't own all copyrights, you got screwed "??
    The images of the products on the site are all taken from other sites with whom I have a verbal agreement with.
    In case they asked, I could withdraw the images from the site immediately.
    About the other images ( logo, etc. ) I do not know where they come from since it is the Indian developer who designed the site
    Could that be a problem?

You should also have all of the files that the site uses stored in a safe location (on a CD or on your own hard drive). Then if they do close down, you just get hosting somewhere else and upload all the files.
    That is definetely a thing to do!!
    Thanks for the suggestion

It isn't ethical to say, "If you do not give me US$10000 I will not open back your site." I would never work with a company that said that. The fact is, it's your site! It's up to you whether it stays open or closes down. If they stop hosting, that's fine. You just find some other host. They should not say, "You can only use the site if you host with us."
    I know they should not say that, but how can you trust a company which you do not know where it is based ( only in India )?

Or am I a little bit paranoid?
    What I do not understand is, if I already open the site with them and then change web hoster, how can I legally prove to another web hoster and to the ICANN that I am the legal owner of the site?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo72
    Can they just " switch off " the site and ask me money to get it back?
    Yes, I suppose they could, but that's where the paranoia comes in.
    And, what do you mean with " If you went into an agreement where you don't own all copyrights, you got screwed "??
    The images of the products on the site are all taken from other sites with whom I have a verbal agreement with.
    In case they asked, I could withdraw the images from the site immediately.
    About the other images ( logo, etc. ) I do not know where they come from since it is the Indian developer who designed the site
    Could that be a problem?
    I mean when you go to a company to get a site designed, you should sign a contract saying that you, the client, have full rights to the layout of the site when it's complete. This means the markup and CSS they used, any images that the company may have incorporated into the layout (I don't mean images for the content that you gathered). They basically should not have rights to anything critical to the life of the site.

I know they should not say that, but how can you trust a company which you do not know where it is based ( only in India )?

Or am I a little bit paranoid?
    What I do not understand is, if I already open the site with them and then change web hoster, how can I legally prove to another web hoster and to the ICANN that I am the legal owner of the site?
    You'll have to take them on good faith, I suppose.
    Yeah, you're a little paranoid, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

You don't really have to legally prove that you're the owner of the site when you change hosts. But even if you did, it would all be in the contract. You did sign a contract, I hope.

Remove Ads