Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, my computer has suffered its 4th fatal crash of the day and figure its time to reformat... this will get rid of all the current web design software i have... most of the webdesign software i don't own... so its probably for the best that it is removed...

anyway... i have 300 to get a full web design package... so i need alternatives for the following...

Dreamweaver - I never use the WYSIWYG editor... instead i hand code all my pages (is there any other way?) Anyway, what i like about dreamweaver is its a joy to code with tags popping up and how it allows you to press enter to fill out a tag. Does anyone know of any programs which give me this programming ability?

Flash - I don't think there are any real alternatives to flash... please correct me if i am wrong. I am looking for well a program which allows animation and the use of action script.

Photoshop - I know there is gimp but i really struggled using it, I have also given the (forgoten name... number 10 has just come out) a go which i met with mixed success.

Anyway does anyone know of freeware or cheap alternatives to the above... also could you list any other useful programs? Preferablly cheap or freeware which a webdesigner really should check out?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If you don't care about WYSIWYG, look into Arachnophilia: http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    If you don't care about WYSIWYG, look into Arachnophilia: http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/
    I agree with filburt, when I first started out, I used Notepad, then switched to Arachnophilia, was using that program since version 4, their new version makes use of Java so if you aren't running the Java runtime, you'll have to stick with the older version.

Dreamweaver is an excellent program, give the price, it's out of what most people will be willing to pay for an application. EditPlus is good, it's not freeware, its shareware, but you can run it for 30-days, after that it will cost $30 for a license to have a fulled registered version of EditPlus.

Member #
    I use GoLive because I bought the whole suite, but a friend of mine likes BBEdit, I don't think it's free, but it's probably cheaper than DW.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Go Lice is good, but the price a bit expensive

Remove Ads