Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Website Help

Member #
    Hey
    Im 14 and i've just steped into the world of web design. My site, www.shorttyproductions.co.uk, is well crap, as i've only put the basics on it.
    What i want to do is on the home page put a login something or other on it, but i have no idea how to do this.
    I want people to be able to log in so they can view other pages of the site e.g. video, audio and the community page. I have a forum on the site, well i haven't linked it yet as i need to edit it. But i want that login on the home screan to apply to the forum also.
    So, does anyone know how to do this?
    Please bear in mind that i have only just started designing. And also the site uploaded at the moment is only temporary.
    Their is one more thing, via cpanel control i can access the sites email shortty@shorttyproductions.co.uk but when i send a email to it, it never recieves it and when i try to send a email from it, it gets returned. Any ideas what i can do? My hosting company is resellerZOOM.
    Thanx

Member #
    Welcome, first off.

Without scaring you with too much information, I do not think there is a way to create a login that will work both log your visitor into your site as well as your forum,

Unless the forum software you have sets a session variable on a successful login.

I will try to explain

On sucessful login, normally a session (exists while the user is still on your site, and a short time after) variable is created, and this is how you can check if a user is logged in.
    To get around this, you could just add code to check for a session on the pages you want protected.

Either way, you will need some server side experience.

PHP: http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp
    ASP: http://www.w3schools.com/asp/default.asp

Depending on your web host/forum.. one of them may be suitable.

Having a form that submits to your forum is easy, simply find the file that handles the logging in, and set your forms action tag to the URL of that file, making sure your form elements are called the same as the login form on the forum software.

A lot to take in.. if your stuck get back to us.

Member #
    Hey
    Ok, the forum and homepage linking wasn't that important anyway just thought it would be nice. Anyway, thanx alot for your advice, im just reading through the links you gave me now.
    So far what im see ing is php something something something and so on, but i'll get their:laugh:
    My webhost supports php, so do you know how i would do about setting up a login system for the homepage?
    Thanx

Member #

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shortty
    My webhost supports php, so do you know how i would do about setting up a login system for the homepage?
    Thanx
    The links audiofreak9 posted are really helpful, but are you after a multi user login script, or for 1 user (where everyone uses the same credentials?

For a friend I created a news update page where they need to enter a username and password, http://www.breachlan.org.uk/update.php - basic but gets the juob done.

However it will be good for you to learn the techniques yourself, but let us know.

Remove Ads