Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Finally...DSL

Member #
    Hey all...
    Im finally getting DSL and I was wanting to know a few answers to a few questions if anyone wants to take the time to answer them. First off, theres not a phone line in my room but theres one in the room across the hall so how will they get everything set up i.e the router etc.? Also, I have 2 seperate phone lines for the Internet and house phone so will they probably want me to get rid of the internet line or stick with it? My main concern is how will they get the router and everything set up when the closest phone jack/line is approximately 15 feet away?? Thanks for your time and answers...it really helps me prepare!!

--Kevin
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone cables can be quite long. They'll just run a cable to their modem and connect the modem to your computer either by USB or ethernet (hopefully the latter).

DSL doesn't require dedicated access to a phone line like dial-up. You can talk on the same line as the connection.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    15 feet is nothing, you can easily set up the system in the other room and then run the proper cables.
    Filburt is right, definately go with ethernet cables if you can. Also, don't know how you are set up with the modem and router, but you can always go wireless if you don't want to run the cables.
    Also, get rid of the "internet line" since you won't need it. The cost of the additional phone line v.s. your new DSL service can almost be a wash and you may not being paying much more (if not less) for the one line and DSL.
    Good luck.......
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    And if you're getting Verizon FIOS, I hate you with every fiber (haha!) of my being.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Sadly, FiOS is not the case...although i'd do anything to get my hands on a piece of that connection

Thanks for all the help and tips!
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Remove Ads