Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey, I am trying to learn how to make websites. I think i have 'learnt' CSS and HTML. As much as you can actually 'learn' these. I have found that you never really learn everything with coding lanuages and you forget a lot else. Anyway, What should I do now?

Should I learn more CSS or will this come as i design more sites? I know i should learn javascript, and php/ASP/ajax

Can someone answer these:

• Where is best to go from here?
    • Which coding lanuage should I learn PHP/AJAX? What are the diffrences, if you know one is it easier to learn the other? Are they are more i should learn?
    • Ajax, what is it? How do i learn it
    • What is ruby on rails
    • Is there anything else I should learn, need to know about

Also, here are examples of my list two sites. Is there anything you could recommend based on these designs

http://homepage.mac.com/damienoneill...tion/index.htm
    http://homepage.mac.com/damienoneill/Vis/index.htm

Member #
    Javascript would be the next step, for sure. You want to make sure to learn all of the client-side, widely used things before going into the more complicated server-side languages. I would look into the "Coding It" forums to learn more about the different options.

In general, there is always more to learn it's simply a matter of when you want to stop and smell the roses. It's good idea to learn something first, get good at it, get some portfolio pieces, and then go on to improve yourself. Unless of course, you already have a solid reliable source of income.

Related though not directly asked:
    Some of your images are taking a while to load, so, I'd suggest learning some optmization tricks.

In reference to your second link:
    The proper plural form is "stories" and representation.htm results in Error 404.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    align is a deprecated attribute to the p element
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Javascript would be the next step, for sure. You want to make sure to learn all of the client-side, widely used things before going into the more complicated server-side languages. I would look into the "Coding It" forums to learn more about the different options.

In general, there is always more to learn it's simply a matter of when you want to stop and smell the roses. It's good idea to learn something first, get good at it, get some portfolio pieces, and then go on to improve yourself. Unless of course, you already have a solid reliable source of income.

Related though not directly asked:
    Some of your images are taking a while to load, so, I'd suggest learning some optmization tricks.

In reference to your second link:
    The proper plural form is "stories" and representation.htm results in Error 404.
    The images are because .mac is a awful awful hosting service. I use different ones normally, its ok as a test server though.

Although I think some images could be improved.

Trying to fix that page error now

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    align is a deprecated attribute to the p element
    Explain? :ermm:

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    On http://homepage.mac.com/damienoneill...tion/index.htm you have a ton of <p align="justify">. ...</p>

This should be done via CSS

Code:
    p {
      text-align: justify;
    }
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    ohhh cheers

Member #
    I only just started coding in strict XHTML, it will probably leave you cursing IE.
    Currently using: Firefox 1.5, IE 7, Notepad, Ms Paint, GIMP

Member #
    I use XHTML Transitional

Member #
    Personally I would look into learning a server-side programming like PHP or CGI next.

It might just be my experience, and I could be way off base... but I rarely use javascript because it tends to be intrusive, not to mention a good amount of people don't even run with it on.

php / cgi / etc on the other hand, is widley used in any site with functionality, and I find that much more usefull than the time I spent learning javascript.

Hope this helps!

-Ross

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads