Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello again,
    love the new look, very fitting.
    I dare say that I am opening up a big can of worms here but I have recently found myself with a spare PC at home and wanted to put it to work, it would be an ideal piece of kit for me to play around with and learn some new things so I wondered, can I use it as a webserver using a typical Broadband connection such as Comcast ? I'm not going to do anything too ambitous with it, just host my own website for friends and family but I figured it would be a great way of learning IIS (if I use win 2000 server) or PWS (if I stick to win2K pro). from what I understand the problem lies in Comcasts dynamic IP address. for me to host does it have to be a static IP or is there a way around this.
    Can anyone shed some light on this and offer some advice on this project please ?

Regards,
    Mitch.......

Member #
    You would need a static IP address... there are websites about that offer this.

The reason why not many people host their own sites though is the terribly poor upload speeds on internet connections.

My broadband for example has 2Mb Down and probably 256Kb Up, what does this mean?

Well when you view a site you download it and the webserver uploads it, if i host from home, the maximum speed anyone can get is 256Kb, this is pretty poor in hosting terms. Especially if more than one person connects.

If you wanted to try it out you need a program called apache, i tried it once and got terribly lost lol, i'm sure you will fair better.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Load in all your server software, Apache, PHP, Perl, etc ...

and create an "intra-net" ... an internet server within your house.

A great way to learn.

You might want to search Amazon for some books.

All the software is free (as far as UNIX stuff goes).

Any PC's connected to the network in your home can connect
    to the server and access web pages.

I'm more into hardware than software, so I have been experimenting
    with tiny self-contained servers ... http://www.siteplayer.com/main_content.htm
    These tiny servers host webpages and connect real-world electronic
    devices to the internet ... or in my case, the intra-net.

Member #
    Thanks guys,
    I shall give that a go

Remove Ads