Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Do you like FrontPage as a professional WYSIWYG editor?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I haven't touch FrontPage is a looooong time.

First thing tho... can you hand-code? I mean... can you make a fully functional site with notepad? If so, then I would suggest Dreamweaver with code view only!

DW is great tools with lost of features like working directly from you web server and the very convenient html and css tool tip, closing tags, and all sorts of other things I haven't had time to experiment with.

I know alot of people on every html/design forum will tell you to that notepad is all you need and that DW is crap... well... that's because they don't know the tool or have only used the "design view" part of it. Thing is... if you let a WYSIWYG editor do all the work for you, the code won't be very good.

hth
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    well isn't using the html code view in Dreamweaver basically the same as using notepad?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Yes, although the color coding is helpful, and the automation of beginning and ending tags, etc. is helpful as well, in addition to the custom code snippet area of course.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    so Wired, do you preffer Dreamweaver to just using notepad?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Using dreamweaver in code view gives you soo many more features than any text editor I have used. Espeically notepad.. systanx highlighing is cool, but any decent text editor can do that(notepad cant). Code hints are also very cool, but alot of editors can do that too (again not for notpad). Ability to edit any document in a well organized interface... most great editors do that also ( notepad, need i even say it?). But what Dreamweaver does that very few if any can do is true file managment on your local drive, your test server and your production server simotaniously. There are tools that are built into dreamweaver that I simply havent been able to find anywhere else. Granted this is in code view only. Dreamweavers WYSIWYG featuers are virtually worthless.

Member #
    I also prefer dreamweaver with the codeview,

What was mentioned before (color coding, quick end tags, etc)

but also the easy insertion of files, through the browse feature while typing out a tag

the quick select of already defined classes, ids, etc
    the quick select of CSS tags, (ie: when you type out border-sty , you can select border-style instead of typing it all out).

Lots of great benifits in my opinion!

I wouldn't touch a different editor though, and wouldn't use a WYSIWYG editor either.

Member #
    well i'm basically sold onto dreamweaver for code view now, but why wouldn't you use any WYSIWYG editor?

Member #
    Basicly all WYSIWYG editors I have used end up putting in unecissary code and tags, that make your pages larger, mess up the hierarchy, and confuse search engines.

If you know the coding, its easier to just do code view IMO anyways.

HTH!

Member #
    i am teaching myself html from online html refferences,
    i know some basics but i am trying to learn more,
    i am also going to study cold fussion, on my own,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads