Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I looked at the dates of image, html and css files in my production folder one day, in order to help calculate how many hours I've completed for this project, and I was astonished that from start to finish the project took 4 months. Since I began the project in December, I could make the excuse that "Winter Vacation" got in the way, but that's just wrong.

What are the best ways or secrets to learn that will allow a designer to get projects done much faster than 3-4 months? How is it possible to design a really excellent Flash/HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP site within a month?

What usually causes a project to go way beyond time for a freelancer who has an intermediate skill level (in my definition, someone who knows Flash, Photoshop, HTML page coding but hasn't spent his/her previous years working in a professional environment like a design studio and hasn't done alot of freelance projects)

Also, can a laptop really cut production time down for a freelancer? What would be the best places to work on your projects outside of the home?

Finally, what is the normal accepted range of hours (or months) that a designer (of any skill level) should spend on a Flash project or an HTML/PHP server related project?

I have discovered my weaknesses: Distractions, and the puzzling game of designing "something" that (a) doesn't look like any of previous designs (b) doesn't look like a direct copy of a popular, publicly known design (c) meets the requirements of the project (d) looks unique and professional enough to gain the attention of art directors or individuals looking for cool talented people to work with. I am so happy that coding pages in HTML, CSS, and PHP is not a big challenge anymore.

Member #
    Well it is always good to keep a code folder, such as pre-made CSS and PHP, not so much X/HTML as this is normally site specific.

How much time you spend on a particular project depends on your workload.

For the laptop question, public librairies etc.. although I recently purchased a laptop and my workload has not increased or decreased, but maybe too soon to tell.

Member #
    Instead of taking the time to make a whole design at once and play around with making it unique/up to your standards... start by doing thumbnail sketches, you can bang out dozens of those in very little time. That way you can find your basic layout and style with out wasting much time with a full sized computer rendition.

Hope this helps!
    -Ross

Member #
    First of all, keep the designs that didn't work for a client available & accessible in case you can use them later.

Next, if you have mutliple projects, go back and forth. "Distractions" are okay, so long as you don't lose "focus." This applies to all sorts of everything. Stop what you're doing, have a cup of tea or a snack, then go back to work. Read an article in print (not online). The idea is to get your eyes off the computer screen for 5-15 minutes every hour or so.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads