Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am rather new to designing, but I know how to program in HTML and some Javascript...however, no nothing of flash, and other complexities of a website.
    If I want to make a page for a client (this particular one is a "local yokel", kinda simliar to a lawn mowing job, but on a computer)

Anyways, getting started I was wondering which is better.

Using "Sitebuilder 7.0" which is hosted on one of the hosting sites
    Using a Content Mgt System, like Php Nuke or Post Nuke
    OR, just purchasing a webtemplate

It's pretty nifty that Site Studio 7.0 has a "flash" animation already there.

http://www.hostgator.com/sitestudio.shtml

But I am wondering which options are better. CMS I am more famliar with though.

Member #
    Seems to me that if you want them to be able to update the site themselves, you'll be chosing two of those.

You need a layout, so you can either make it or purchase it. Then you need a CMS to encorporate into it. You can't very well have one without the other.

If you just want a static site then you obviously only need the layout (template).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Bones
    Seems to me that if you want them to be able to update the site themselves, you'll be chosing two of those.

You need a layout, so you can either make it or purchase it. Then you need a CMS to encorporate into it. You can't very well have one without the other.

If you just want a static site then you obviously only need the layout (template).
    Actually, I'll be doing it for them.
    How do you incorporate it? I figured that they were 2 different formats.

See I use Post nuke as an alternative to a website at times. I'm not sure what you mean by it being a need to have them together.

True about the static site (but I wonder how you "edit" the image on top of the "Template" you know, replace it with a new image?

Member #
    Usually you have to edit the templates in Photoshop, since most of the templates you see are in .PSD format.
    Or are you talking about a different format?
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    Usually you have to edit the templates in Photoshop, since most of the templates you see are in .PSD format.
    Or are you talking about a different format?
    Yeah, and you need PS 7 for that...I got 6 (and I think CS)? Thanks for the heads up on that.

When you ask, "Are you talking about a diff. format" what do you mean?

Remove Ads